-   Edubuntu Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-development/)
-   -   flash plugin becoming less important? (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-development/319272-flash-plugin-becoming-less-important.html)

Gavin McCullagh 02-02-2010 02:38 PM

flash plugin becoming less important?

Hi,

I've been reading recently of how various vendors, notably Google and Apple
are pushing to use new features of HTML5 to avoid the Flash plugin for
situations like video playing. Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome are all
implementing HTML5 at present.

http://lifehacker.com/5416100/how-html5-will-change-the-way-you-use-the-web

Youtube is already testing videos played through HTML5 instead of Flash and
by all accounts the performance is markedly better -- though only Safari
and Chrome are supported just now.

http://www.youtube.com/html5

This seems like good news for LTSP and the Linux desktop in general. What
must likely be the most common piece of proprietary software on linux
desktops may become less of a requirement. I for one will crack open a
bottle of bubbly (beer) when I can remove the flash plugin from my desktop.

Gavin

Steve Rippl 02-02-2010 05:45 PM

Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been reading recently of how various vendors, notably Google and Apple
> are pushing to use new features of HTML5 to avoid the Flash plugin for
> situations like video playing. Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome are all
> implementing HTML5 at present.
>
> http://lifehacker.com/5416100/how-html5-will-change-the-way-you-use-the-web
>
> Youtube is already testing videos played through HTML5 instead of Flash and
> by all accounts the performance is markedly better -- though only Safari
> and Chrome are supported just now.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/html5
>
> This seems like good news for LTSP and the Linux desktop in general. What
> must likely be the most common piece of proprietary software on linux
> desktops may become less of a requirement. I for one will crack open a
> bottle of bubbly (beer) when I can remove the flash plugin from my desktop.
>
> Gavin
I had been thinking the same thing when I saw this...

http://www.informationweek.com/news/infrastructure/management/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=222600577

We can but hope!!

--
Steve Rippl
Technology Director

Jordan Erickson 02-02-2010 08:46 PM

flash plugin becoming less important?

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/07/decoding-the-html-5-video-codec-debate.ars

Caroline Ford wrote:
> HTML 5's codecs are unfree.
>
> On 2 February 2010 15:38, Gavin McCullagh <gmccullagh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been reading recently of how various vendors, notably Google and Apple
>> are pushing to use new features of HTML5 to avoid the Flash plugin for
>> situations like video playing. Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome are all
>> implementing HTML5 at present.
>>

>> http://lifehacker.com/5416100/how-html5-will-change-the-way-you-use-the-web
>>
>> Youtube is already testing videos played through HTML5 instead of Flash and
>> by all accounts the performance is markedly better -- though only Safari
>> and Chrome are supported just now.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/html5
>>
>> This seems like good news for LTSP and the Linux desktop in general. What
>> must likely be the most common piece of proprietary software on linux
>> desktops may become less of a requirement. I for one will crack open a
>> bottle of bubbly (beer) when I can remove the flash plugin from my desktop.
>>
>> Gavin
>>

>> --

Jordan Erickson
(707) 636-5678 - http://www.logicalnetworking.net
* Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail *

Jordan Erickson 02-02-2010 08:46 PM

Luis Montes 02-03-2010 02:57 AM

Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been reading recently of how various vendors, notably Google and Apple
> are pushing to use new features of HTML5 to avoid the Flash plugin for
> situations like video playing. Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome are all
> implementing HTML5 at present.
>
> http://lifehacker.com/5416100/how-html5-will-change-the-way-you-use-the-web
>
> Youtube is already testing videos played through HTML5 instead of Flash and
> by all accounts the performance is markedly better -- though only Safari
> and Chrome are supported just now.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/html5
>
> This seems like good news for LTSP and the Linux desktop in general. What
> must likely be the most common piece of proprietary software on linux
> desktops may become less of a requirement. I for one will crack open a
> bottle of bubbly (beer) when I can remove the flash plugin from my desktop.
>
> Gavin

The sooner we move onto SVGs and javascript libs like dojo and jquery
the better. I'm probably not going to pickup an ipad myself, but glad
to see it doesn't come with flash :)