Old 02-05-2010, 08:51 PM
David Hopkins

Default OpenLDAP setup on Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 2

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Scott Balneaves <sbalneav@legalaid.mb.ca> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 04:16:49PM -0500, David Hopkins wrote:

> And ... at the risk of raising ire, while setting up the server can be

> difficult, setting up an ldap client should not be so hard. *IHMO RedHat has

> it done correctly with a simple GUI, enter the ldap server IP address, click

> OK, and you're done. *Doesn't get any simpler.

Debian, and by extention, debian based distros, have always maintained that

debconf shall be the way that conf shall be done. *It's more a debconf

limitation than anything else.

Ahh ....
*

I can spend a few minutes this weekend, and get a simplified procedure written

down. *The problem, as with anything to do with LDAP, is in the details.

Very much appreciated.

> For Ubuntu, which I really want to use as a replacement for my RedHat

> servers and move to LTSP 5 from 4.2, I have now tried the install 3 times

> and just the install has behaved differently each time. *Not sure why .. I

> installed the same packages each time.

Have you been doing apt-get *purge* package? *Otherwise, you're leaving conf

files about, and debconf will be trying to re-use perhaps incorrectly set up

configs. *Getting you nowhere fast.

purge?* Ok, learn something new every day. I'll try uninstalling with the purge option and try again.

Thanks!
Dave ...

Old 02-07-2010, 03:32 AM
Scott Balneaves

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 04:51:33PM -0500, David Hopkins wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Scott Balneaves <sbalneav@legalaid.mb.ca>wrote:

> > I can spend a few minutes this weekend, and get a simplified procedure
> > written
> > down. The problem, as with anything to do with LDAP, is in the details.
> >

> Very much appreciated.

As promised:

https://wiki.edubuntu.org/Edubuntu/WikiSite/SimpleLDAPSetup

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | Nature uses as little as possible of anything.
Systems Department | -- Johannes Keppler

Old 02-07-2010, 03:32 AM
Scott Balneaves