Old 01-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Jörg Sawatzki

Default Ideas and support for a new Edubuntu based Portal Server

Hey folks,

after talking to some people in #edubuntu on freenode, I thought it
might be a good idea to share my thoughts and ideas with you on this
mailinglist as well.

First of all, my name is Jörg and I am freelancing as a software
developer here in the Northwest of Germany. I mostly work for the
regional media centre and the state's government to develop new ways to
use the internet and new technologies in schools. A lot of schools here
are running some proprietary portal server which is not only quite
expensive but lacks a lot features and simply isn't "state of the art"
anymore (check out www.iserv.eu if you speak German).

I have written a short blueprint for a new open source project that I'd
like to start and would like to ask you to review it and give me your
thoughts, ideas and feedback:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/edubuntu-portal-server

Any mental and material help is highly appreciated )

Wanted:
- ideas, feedback, critical opinions
- an Edubuntu development and playground server
- testers
- help with the core development
- module developers
- whatever you think is worth contributing

Thanks a lot in advance!

Cheers,

Jörg

Old 01-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Ben Francis

Jörg,

Great idea. Would you allow people to boot from your Edubuntu server?

If so, the fine folks at boot.kernel.org might be persuaded to add an entry pointing to your boot server. Maybe they could even host an Edubuntu boot server.

This would allow you to walk into a school, boot any internet-connected computer from a USB flash drive with gPXE, and finish booting from your boot server.

The school doesn't have to buy more computers or buy a monster server. Their computers boot from your boot server.

The school's network would have to handle the increased load of booting every computer from the internet.

This may be completely impractical, so feel free to shoot it down.

Ben

Old 01-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Veli-Matti Lintu

su, 2010-01-24 kello 16:30 +0100, Jörg Sawatzki kirjoitti:
> Hey folks,
>
> after talking to some people in #edubuntu on freenode, I thought it
> might be a good idea to share my thoughts and ideas with you on this
> mailinglist as well.
>
> First of all, my name is Jörg and I am freelancing as a software
> developer here in the Northwest of Germany. I mostly work for the
> regional media centre and the state's government to develop new ways to
> use the internet and new technologies in schools. A lot of schools here
> are running some proprietary portal server which is not only quite
> expensive but lacks a lot features and simply isn't "state of the art"
> anymore (check out www.iserv.eu if you speak German).
>
> I have written a short blueprint for a new open source project that I'd
> like to start and would like to ask you to review it and give me your
> thoughts, ideas and feedback:
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/edubuntu-portal-server

Hello,

Here in Finland there's a project called "Avoin koulu" (Open School)
that deals with some of the issues here. The goal is to provide a set of
ten features needed in schools. At first stage the features are provided
using existing open source tools packaged together. The project is done
in collaboration with COSS (The Finnish Centre for Open Source
Solutions) and three companies.

Unfortunately the project pages are available only in Finnish:
* Demo site: http://avoinkoulu.tuote.fi/
* Documentation site: http://avoinkoulu.coss.fi/
* COSS: http://www.coss.fi/en

The features are described here:
http://avoinkoulu.coss.fi/index.php/Tekniikka

The list translated is:

1. Authentication server OpenLDAP / Fedora Directory Server
2. Email (Zimbra)
3. Calendar (Zimbra)
4. Personal home directories + file sharing (Zimbra)
5. Remote teaching + remote collaboration (Openmeetings)
6. IM: Openfire with Jabber protocol
7. Collaboration tool Elgg
8. Backups
9. Home page tool: Elgg/Moodle
10. Print management: CUPS + Pykota

The installation documents might be useful without mastering the finnish
language

http://avoinkoulu.coss.fi/index.php/Peruskympin_testipalvelimen_asennusdokumentit

I have not been involved in the project personally, but I can try to
help with the stuff. I'm currently working on some separate user
management issues that should make running also these tools easier:

http://www.opinsys.fi/en/user-management-rethought

Veli-Matti

Old 01-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Jörg Sawatzki

Hey Veli-Matti,

that all looks very promising. Has Avoin koulu a true Single Sign On
system? Most people who talk about SSO mean a system where you can
authenticate with the same credentials to every app - but what I mean
is: One single login form that gives you access to all the apps without
asking for a password everytime.

My second point: How do you use Zimba for storing and sharing files?

Is there a demo username/pasword, so that I can login and have a look
around?

Thanks,

Jörg

Old 01-25-2010, 07:44 PM
Veli-Matti Lintu

ma, 2010-01-25 kello 14:58 +0100, Jörg Sawatzki kirjoitti:
> Hey Veli-Matti,
>
> that all looks very promising. Has Avoin koulu a true Single Sign On
> system? Most people who talk about SSO mean a system where you can
> authenticate with the same credentials to every app - but what I mean
> is: One single login form that gives you access to all the apps without
> asking for a password everytime.
>
> My second point: How do you use Zimba for storing and sharing files?
>
> Is there a demo username/pasword, so that I can login and have a look
> around?

There's single login that should work for everything without asking the
password again. There's no support for kerberos login from the desktop,
though if I've understood correctly. We are using CAS with kerberos for
some web apps and something like that would probably make it possible to
get the desktop login to work through the browser. Now you have to enter
your login and password to login.

You can register a test account here:
http://avoinkoulu.tuote.fi/elgg/account/register.php

(it asks for display name, email, username, password, password
confirmation)

It's all in finnish, though, so it may be a bit confusing..

Zimbra does have some kind of web based shared folders functionality,
but I have really limited experience with it. Here's more information
about it:

http://www.zimbra.com/products/collaboration.html

Veli-Matti