Old 01-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Scott Balneaves

Default Commissioned work for Free Software project?

Hello Ryan!

I'm a developer with Edubuntu (http://edubuntu.org, and my page,
http://launchpad.net/~sbalneav) which is a Free Software distribution
specifically targeted at Education and Library usages.

I've been a DB subscriber for years and years, and the topic for artwork for
our new version of our software came about. Suggestions were bandied about for
artwork, and I proffered your name as someone who's work I'd always admired.

The rest of the developers agreed that it made sense to contact you for a
commission, and so, here we are.

We were wondering if you'd be willing to do a commission for us that we could
include on the DVD we produce. You'd need to license the picture in such a way
that we could freely distribute it, either by GPL'ing the image, or assigning
it one of the Creative Commons licenses. We'd like something education
related, like a library or a classroom.

I'm not sure what you charge for commissions of this nature. Edubuntu itself
is a Free product, and doesn't make any money, but a few of the developers have
stated they'd be willing to kick in.

If you could let me know, that would be great.

Have a great day, and thanks for all your art (Muspelheim's on my desktop as we
speak).

Cheers,
Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | Nature uses as little as possible of anything.
Systems Department | -- Johannes Keppler