Old 01-05-2010, 01:55 AM
Stéphane Graber

Default Looking for testers - gcompris

Old 01-05-2010, 01:55 AM
Stéphane Graber

Old 01-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Jonathan Carter

Hi Stéphane

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 4:55 AM, Stéphane Graber <stgraber@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> I just uploaded gcompris 9.0 (released yesterday) to Lucid.

I'm not a heavy gcompris user but I am familiar with it so I gave it a bash.

> Changes include:
> *- Better separated activities
> *- New graphic toolkit
> *- Using SVG for theming

Hmm, I still quite big pixels on most of the interface so I'm not sure
how much of it uses svg yet. Perhaps it's purposely scaled down again
for performance?

> *- Changed to give a better rendering on widescreen displays
> *- A few new activities and updated activities

I went through all the activities and this is what I found:

Under "Discover the Computer":
1. On the first mouse activity where you have to reveal the picture,
there are some redrawing errors and some artifacts are left behind on
the screen.
2. The same with the fourth mouse activity where you have to click on
the white boxes

Under "Various Puzzles":
3. The Tangrim (first game) puzzle doesn't seem to work. There's a one
euro coin that's blurry and when I click on it nothing happens. I
might be doing it wrong though

Besides that it works very nicely. If someone could confirm the above
we can file bugs.

The word processor and chat is quite interesting as well.

-Jonathan

Old 01-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Bruno Coudoin

Le mardi 05 janvier 2010 à 18:51 +0200, Jonathan Carter a écrit :
> Hi Stéphane
>
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 4:55 AM, Stéphane Graber <stgraber@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > I just uploaded gcompris 9.0 (released yesterday) to Lucid.

Thanks for having done it so fast.

> I'm not a heavy gcompris user but I am familiar with it so I gave it a bash.
>
> > Changes include:
> > - Better separated activities
> > - New graphic toolkit
> > - Using SVG for theming
>
> Hmm, I still quite big pixels on most of the interface so I'm not sure
> how much of it uses svg yet. Perhaps it's purposely scaled down again
> for performance?

Sadly, we use SVG but these are rendered at our native screen size
(800x520) and then rescaled at pixmap level if needed. This is not
optimal and I hope to have a better implementation one day. At least,
since there is now anti-aliasing support, it's way better than before.

> > - Changed to give a better rendering on widescreen displays
> > - A few new activities and updated activities
>
> I went through all the activities and this is what I found:
>
> Under "Discover the Computer":
> 1. On the first mouse activity where you have to reveal the picture,
> there are some redrawing errors and some artifacts are left behind on
> the screen.
> 2. The same with the fourth mouse activity where you have to click on
> the white boxes

This is a know issue when Compiz is activated. I would appreciate if you
can report it to the people behind compiz.

> Under "Various Puzzles":
> 3. The Tangrim (first game) puzzle doesn't seem to work. There's a one
> euro coin that's blurry and when I click on it nothing happens. I
> might be doing it wrong though

Hum, are you talking about the tangram:
http://gcompris.net/en-tangram

In the help of each activity at the top there is their formal name with
the form: /puzzle/tangram

Could you please run 'gcompris -D > trace.txt' and reproduce the
problem. A screenshot may help as well.

Thanks,

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net Free educational software for kids

Old 01-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Jonathan Carter

Hi Bruno

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Bruno Coudoin <bruno.coudoin@free.fr> wrote:
> Sadly, we use SVG but these are rendered at our native screen size
> (800x520) and then rescaled at pixmap level if needed. This is not
> optimal and I hope to have a better implementation one day. At least,
> since there is now anti-aliasing support, it's way better than before.

It does look better indeed. I doubt that people from the target age
group would notice the pixel size though

>> Under "Discover the Computer":
>> 1. On the first mouse activity where you have to reveal the picture,
>> there are some redrawing errors and some artifacts are left behind on
>> the screen.
>> 2. The same with the fourth mouse activity where you have to click on
>> the white boxes
>
> This is a know issue when Compiz is activated. I would appreciate if you
> can report it to the people behind compiz.

Yep, it works fine if I use metacity as wm.

>> Under "Various Puzzles":
>> 3. The Tangrim (first game) puzzle doesn't seem to work. There's a one
>> euro coin that's blurry and when I click on it nothing happens. I
>> might be doing it wrong though
>
> Hum, are you talking about the tangram:
> http://gcompris.net/en-tangram

Sorry, I got the name wrong, I meant the Photo Hunter.

> Could you please run 'gcompris -D > trace.txt' and reproduce the
> problem. A screenshot may help as well.

trace.txt and screenshot is attached.

-Jonathan
package_data_dir = /usr/share/gcompris/boards
package_skin_dir = /usr/share/gcompris/boards/skins
package_menu_dir = /usr/share/gcompris/boards
package_locale_dir = /usr/share/locale
package_plugin_dir = /usr/lib/gcompris
package_python_plugin_dir= /usr/share/gcompris/python
Infos:
Config dir '/home/jonathan/.config/gcompris'
Users dir '/home/jonathan/My GCompris'
Database '/home/jonathan/.config/gcompris/gcompris_sqlite.db'
opening dir : /usr/share/gcompris/boards/photohunter
filtered file found : euros0.csv (select=-1, scan=0)
Random nbr = 0 (for level=1)
CleaningUp
EndOfClean
opening dir : /usr/share/gcompris/boards/photohunter
filtered file found : euros0.csv (select=0, scan=0)
filtered file found, after cleanup : euros0
Random file choosed = euros0
opening csv file /usr/share/gcompris/boards/photohunter/euros0.csv...
fields size = 4 - diff coords x1=36, y1=169, x2=97, y2=230
fields size = 4 - diff coords x1=89, y1=123, x2=104, y2=152
fields size = 4 - diff coords x1=108, y1=58, x2=159, y2=109
fields size = 4 - diff coords x1=250, y1=105, x2=295, y2=147
fields size = 4 - diff coords x1=203, y1=213, x2=248, y2=235
Start level=1, total=1
pause_board() called with value=0
pause_board() called with value=1
pause_board() called with value=0
End Board!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Bruno Coudoin

Le mardi 05 janvier 2010 à 22:59 +0200, Jonathan Carter a écrit :
> Hi Bruno
>
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Bruno Coudoin <bruno.coudoin@free.fr> wrote:
> > Sadly, we use SVG but these are rendered at our native screen size
> > (800x520) and then rescaled at pixmap level if needed. This is not
> > optimal and I hope to have a better implementation one day. At least,
> > since there is now anti-aliasing support, it's way better than before.
>
> It does look better indeed. I doubt that people from the target age
> group would notice the pixel size though

Sure, children would probably prefer me to add more activities for
them

> >> Under "Various Puzzles":
> >> 3. The Tangrim (first game) puzzle doesn't seem to work. There's a one
> >> euro coin that's blurry and when I click on it nothing happens. I
> >> might be doing it wrong though
> >
> > Hum, are you talking about the tangram:
> > http://gcompris.net/en-tangram
>
> Sorry, I got the name wrong, I meant the Photo Hunter.
>
> > Could you please run 'gcompris -D > trace.txt' and reproduce the
> > problem. A screenshot may help as well.
>
> trace.txt and screenshot is attached.

Great, it works fine but you need to read the fine manual ( question
mark in the activity ) is says:
Observe the two pictures carefully. There are some slight differences.
When you find a difference you must click on it.

By the way, like in other activities, at least the first level display
the instruction. I am considering displaying the manual page
systematically when we enter an activity.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Jonathan Carter

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 11:25 PM, Bruno Coudoin <bruno.coudoin@free.fr> wrote:
> Great, it works fine but you need to read the fine manual ( question
> mark in the activity ) is says:
> Observe the two pictures carefully. There are some slight differences.
> When you find a difference you must click on it.

But that's what I do. Nothing happens :/

-Jonathan

Old 01-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Bruno Coudoin

Le mercredi 06 janvier 2010 à 00:01 +0200, Jonathan Carter a écrit :
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 11:25 PM, Bruno Coudoin <bruno.coudoin@free.fr> wrote:
> > Great, it works fine but you need to read the fine manual ( question
> > mark in the activity ) is says:
> > Observe the two pictures carefully. There are some slight differences.
> > When you find a difference you must click on it.
>
> But that's what I do. Nothing happens :/

Click on the bottom left coin, the big yellow one. A round will appear
to show that it has a difference. Then find the 4 other differences.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Tricia Bowen

Hi Bruno,
My kids are big fans of GCompris. A few minor things:
Discover the Computer -> Numbers with DiceThe counter goes pass 10 to 11/10 before the smiley face appears. The counter start with 1/10 instead of 0/10 which could be the problem.

Discover the Computer -> Make the ball go to TuxI couldn't figure out how to work this but my 5 year old used the shift key. Maybe add the word shift after the up arrows for us grown-ups. I realize this might be a language specific feature.

I'll go through the rest of it when I have a chance.
--Tricia & Max

Old 01-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Bruno Coudoin

Le mardi 05 janvier 2010 à 23:39 +0100, Bruno Coudoin a écrit :
> Le mercredi 06 janvier 2010 à 00:01 +0200, Jonathan Carter a écrit :
> > On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 11:25 PM, Bruno Coudoin <bruno.coudoin@free.fr> wrote:
> > > Great, it works fine but you need to read the fine manual ( question
> > > mark in the activity ) is says:
> > > Observe the two pictures carefully. There are some slight differences.
> > > When you find a difference you must click on it.
> >
> > But that's what I do. Nothing happens :/

Not sure I mentioned it. It is fixed now. It was working in windows
mode, not in full screen.

BTW, We plan to make a 9.1 release this week end. It will include this
fix and many others.

Bruno.