Old 12-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Richard JOHNSON

Default Edubuntu and beyond

Hey everyone!

First off, congratulations to the new Edubuntu Council. I look forward to
working with each and everyone of you in making Edubuntu the greatest
educational distribution available.

A quick intro about myself for those of you who may not be familiar with
me. I have been a member of the Ubuntu community since 2005. I have mainly
focused my work on Kubuntu development as well as community development. I
have helped a little here-and-there with Edubuntu in the past, mainly with
documentation as well as authoring the Edubuntu chapter in the Official
Ubuntu Book. In addition to the Edubuntu Council, I am also a member of the
Community Council, MOTU Council, and the Regional Membership boards. I am a
MOTU and Core Developer. So with my background in the Ubuntu world, I hope
that I am able to reach any and all goals that the wonderful Edubuntu team
creates!

So now, Edubuntu and beyond. One thing I would like to set as a goal is to
make Edubuntu as popular as Kubuntu has become. This would of course be a
short-term goal, as I would like Edubuntu and Kubuntu to be #1, along side
of Ubuntu. One thing I feel I helped Kubuntu with is getting it out there
and making people want to develop the future of it, and I hope to do the
same with Edubuntu. As many of us know, Edubuntu has been a fairly large
project with a relatively small community of developers and contributors. I
would love to help change this, and look forward to any ideas you all may
have.

I have recently gone through the wiki.ubuntu.com/Edubuntu and noticed that
it is a bit incomplete as well as a bit out-of-date. Maybe one thing we can
look at is a "Edubuntu Docs/Wiki Day" where we can hopefully get some
people from inside and outside of the Edubuntu community contributing. One
thing I would definitely like to see is a Edubuntu/Todo page for Lucid to
track work which can also be tracked by the Desktop Team [1]. We can borrow
the layout from Kubuntu/Todo/Lucid, and I would be happy to get that going
if everyone agrees on it.

I know I may reference Kubuntu quite a bit, and hopefully many of you don't
hold that against me The reason I do so is because Kubuntu was the same
as Edubuntu just a year or so ago. We had this amazing product but we had a
small developer and contributor community, and as many of you probably
heard, Kubuntu regularly fell behind what Ubuntu was doing. I would love to
prevent this same thing from happening to Edubuntu, even though it already
has a bit.

One thing we have going for us is our upstreams. There is plenty of work
being done upstream for the educational market that Edubuntu already
leverages. I am also a KDE developer, and regularly follow what the KDE
Educational group is doing. I know on a few occasions they really wanted to
see Edubuntu flourish as well, and they are great fans of it. I helped a
bit with this when I created the edubuntu-desktop-kde metapackage a couple
of years ago. Now what is going on with the GNOME side I am not to up on,
but I am sure some of you already are. Let's take a look and see how the
futures of our upstreams are looking, take a look at other educational
distributions, and see where we can be better. We already have LTSP and
that seems to be a very large factor in the Edubuntu adoption, now lets
make the rest of Edubuntu just as shiny!

Once again, thanks to the support, and I do look forward to working with
each and everyone of you. If there is anything you think I can help with,
please do not hesitate to ask me. If I can't help or don't know the answer,
I know many more who just might be able to help or answer. Thanks!

--
Name| Richard JOHNSON
Title| Developer
WWW| http://www.ubuntu.com
Email| nixternal@ubuntu.com
GnuPG| 3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96 7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738

Old 12-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Scott Balneaves

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 01:05:38PM -0600, Richard JOHNSON wrote:
> Hey everyone!
>
> First off, congratulations to the new Edubuntu Council. I look forward to
> working with each and everyone of you in making Edubuntu the greatest
> educational distribution available.

With an email title like "Edubuntu and beyond!" I really feel as if I should
have a cape, and a set of tights with a large letter emblazoned on the front.

Well, maybe not the tights.

> I have recently gone through the wiki.ubuntu.com/Edubuntu and noticed that
> it is a bit incomplete as well as a bit out-of-date. Maybe one thing we can
> look at is a "Edubuntu Docs/Wiki Day" where we can hopefully get some
> people from inside and outside of the Edubuntu community contributing. One
> thing I would definitely like to see is a Edubuntu/Todo page for Lucid to
> track work which can also be tracked by the Desktop Team [1]. We can borrow
> the layout from Kubuntu/Todo/Lucid, and I would be happy to get that going
> if everyone agrees on it.

Yeah. That would be awesome. The handbook needs to be brought up to date as
well, and I'm beginning to look though and quantify some of our bugs as well.

As part of my "Make Lucid Stable" campaign, I've been heavily working on
Sabayon lately, so Teachers with class labs will have an effective desktop
management tool. What I'd really like us to do is (somehow) pick our top (x)
bugs we'd like to get fixed for Lucid. Since it's long term, I'd love to focus
on stability at this point.

Cheers!!!
Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | You may my glories and my state dispose,
Systems Department | But not my griefs; still am I king of those.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Richard JOHNSON

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 01:17:02PM -0600, Scott Balneaves wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 01:05:38PM -0600, Richard JOHNSON wrote:
> > Hey everyone!
> >
> > First off, congratulations to the new Edubuntu Council. I look forward to
> > working with each and everyone of you in making Edubuntu the greatest
> > educational distribution available.
>
> With an email title like "Edubuntu and beyond!" I really feel as if I should
> have a cape, and a set of tights with a large letter emblazoned on the front.

I already saw you wearing this outfit, so don't try and play it off

> Well, maybe not the tights.

Good call

> Yeah. That would be awesome. The handbook needs to be brought up to date as
> well, and I'm beginning to look though and quantify some of our bugs as well.

I would be down with helping out on the handbook, or switching to the topic
based stuff. Right now I am leading a huge push on a total rewrite of the
Kubuntu docs for Lucid. In 2 weeks time, we knocked off about 50% of the
work already. I think we can get some contributors from the Ubuntu side as
well to help out there.

> As part of my "Make Lucid Stable" campaign, I've been heavily working on
> Sabayon lately, so Teachers with class labs will have an effective desktop
> management tool. What I'd really like us to do is (somehow) pick our top (x)
> bugs we'd like to get fixed for Lucid. Since it's long term, I'd love to focus
> on stability at this point.

Same here on stability for LTS. Lucid+1 we can look at really playing and
having a ton of fun, though making stuff stable is fun too, but breaking
stuff is more fun. Come on admit it

--
Name| Richard JOHNSON
Title| Developer

Old 12-21-2009, 06:35 PM
David Van Assche

Indeed it seems like a new era, a time when the edubuntu distro will be taken seriously as not just an add on cd, but rightfully, and hopefully the best educational distribution available for schools, universities and anyone educationally inclined.

*
That said, we have a lot of catching up in to do in multiple areas. The distro that is really kicking everyone's ass is opensuse 11.2, and what they have in store for 11.3 will be even more earth shattering. So its really worth taking a look at it, for those of you who have not seen it, because by all accounts, if you were a teacher, educational advistor, dean, or tech responsible for choosing the distro of choice, I bet you'd be highly tempted by opensuse 11.2. Especially in mixed environment, and environments that have legacy implementations where LDAP, NIS or some such is used, its very attractive. But that doesnt mean its perfect. Its still far harder to launch than ed/ubuntu, and lacks the simplicity of reliance on a monolith package (yast)

I certainly dont have the answers, but I believe we need to really analyse opensuse 11.2 and see what they got right... I hope to be able to work on a xmpp based login system that would not require login/password, making the jump from something like windows easier. Also... like the integration of messenger into other apps, something similar xmpp based would help us have a common user profile system that would allow for the slow growth of everything from messaging systems to collaborative apps. In other words a user profile that is remote control, can manage remote dbus sessions, remote desktops, and all of it without firewalls even hinting as being problems. Its all possible today, wih telepathy... it just needs to be coded... and sinc this* stuff tends to be fun, I'm sure there will be lots of takers. Finally, it would give an edge on all ofher distros making them wonder what the hell happened... pass yout profile from ure mobile to your desktop top your laptop, and manage them all at the same time... thats is the future my friends.... I see an endless barrage of applications that willl utilise this telepathy framework... I hope I'm not alone with this vision. Sugar kinda had it right... but we want it in Gnome... and in many cases its just following existing code, since there are already several apps that use the telepathy framework, the most famous being empathy, though its currently just a fancy chat program, and could be so much more... though I have a slight feeling we'll see some pretty awsome additions to it soon enough.

The other area is expanding our app collection... that should be easy enouugh, and just requires someone going over them and making sure they really are up to scratch and worth the salt...Time passes fast, and we're a good year and a half behind the times... there are some pretty awsome apps out there that need to be included asap... for Lynx if possible...

kind regards,
Davif Van Assche

Long live the edubuntu council...

*WWW| *http://www.ubuntu.com

Email| *nixternal@ubuntu.com

GnuPG| *3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96 *7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738

Pablo Picasso *- "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."

Old 12-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Scott Balneaves

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 01:26:06PM -0600, Richard JOHNSON wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 01:17:02PM -0600, Scott Balneaves wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 01:05:38PM -0600, Richard JOHNSON wrote:
> > > Hey everyone!
> > >
> > > First off, congratulations to the new Edubuntu Council. I look forward to
> > > working with each and everyone of you in making Edubuntu the greatest
> > > educational distribution available.
> >
> > With an email title like "Edubuntu and beyond!" I really feel as if I should
> > have a cape, and a set of tights with a large letter emblazoned on the front.
>
> I already saw you wearing this outfit, so don't try and play it off

Buy the negatives at any price.

> I would be down with helping out on the handbook, or switching to the topic
> based stuff. Right now I am leading a huge push on a total rewrite of the
> Kubuntu docs for Lucid. In 2 weeks time, we knocked off about 50% of the
> work already. I think we can get some contributors from the Ubuntu side as
> well to help out there.

Woot.

> Same here on stability for LTS. Lucid+1 we can look at really playing and
> having a ton of fun, though making stuff stable is fun too, but breaking
> stuff is more fun. Come on admit it

As a systems administrator for 20+ years, I used to enjoy breaking things, but
now that I'm older and wiser^H^H^H^H^Hbitterer, I kinda like working and boring

But, as they say, can't make an omlette...

--
Scott L. Balneaves | Always do right. This will gratify some people
Systems Department | and astonish the rest.