Old 01-15-2009, 09:22 AM
"Jordan Mantha"

Default KDE wants your input

HI all,

Recently I wrote a blog post [0] about how I think Edubuntu and Linux
in general in Education really need to succeed for Linux/FLOSS to go
mainstream. In particular, we (Edubuntu) need to advocate for
educational users to open source software developers. Well, Aaron
Seigo, one of the lead developers of KDE, read it and has responded
[1]. He's asked for educator feedback on somethings he's been thinking
about and has created a wiki page [2] to brainstorm ideas for making
one of KDE 4's new technologies, plasma [3], work hard for education.
Anyway, I thought it might be of interest to the list.

-Jordan

[0] http://laserjock.wordpress.com/2009/01/13/why-we-need-edubuntu-to-succeed/
[1] http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/01/purpose-specific-containments.html
[2] http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/Education
[3] http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma

Old 01-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Christopher Chan

Jordan Mantha wrote:
> HI all,
>
> Recently I wrote a blog post [0] about how I think Edubuntu and Linux
> in general in Education really need to succeed for Linux/FLOSS to go
> mainstream. In particular, we (Edubuntu) need to advocate for
> educational users to open source software developers. Well, Aaron
> Seigo, one of the lead developers of KDE, read it and has responded
> [1]. He's asked for educator feedback on somethings he's been thinking
> about and has created a wiki page [2] to brainstorm ideas for making
> one of KDE 4's new technologies, plasma [3], work hard for education.
> Anyway, I thought it might be of interest to the list.

What alternatives are there to Activstudio from Promethean?

That piece of software makes it easy for teachers to create content for
use in their classes and can be used in tandem with a physical
interactive whiteboard which allow their pupils/students to get involved.

A powerful and easy to use content creation tool that is easily used
with an interactive whiteboard can mean a lot. Not all teachers are
going to want to use subject specific software. All teachers would
however appreciate being able to make their own stuff for their classes.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:14 AM
"David Groos"

I'm not familiar at all with this software but have been thinking about
something to work with this 'open source' interactive white board by
Jonny Lee :-)* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgKCrGvShZs&feature=related
(please excuse the 20 seconds of ads at the start--it really is
amazing, though, if you haven't seen it.)* Would this software work
with something like that?* Not only is the Wii 'smartboard' extremely
affordable, it solves the size limitation of smartboards and
promeathean boards.* Thanks, David

Old 01-16-2009, 02:14 AM
"David Groos"

Old 01-16-2009, 02:50 AM
Christopher Chan

David Groos wrote:
> I'm not familiar at all with this software but have been thinking about
> something to work with this 'open source' interactive white board by
> Jonny Lee :-)

...yes, I have heard about the Wii Board and maybe I should try to set
one up at home on my Linux box too...

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgKCrGvShZs&feature=related
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgKCrGvShZs&feature=related> (please
> excuse the 20 seconds of ads at the start--it really is amazing, though,
> if you haven't seen it.) Would this software work with something like
> that? Not only is the Wii 'smartboard' extremely affordable, it solves
> the size limitation of smartboards and promeathean boards. Thanks, David

Activstudio gives the teacher a whole lot more than just the 'Paint'
demonstration. As for head tracking...is there any school that has a VR
environment for their teaching purposes?

Activstudio itself would most probably have worked fine with the Wii
board so the problem is not replacing the hardware.

The problem is whether there is a software equivalent to Activstudio.

But I will have a go at setting up a Wii board if any of them uber
expensive Promethean boards die.

regards,

Christopher

Old 01-16-2009, 04:07 PM
"David Groos"

The ¨Wii Board¨ features that interest me are:
--Very inexpensive (have one in every room even in economically poor districts as long as has data projector)
--Can project on a 10 by 7 foot screen so details are large enough for people in the back of class to see.

I´ve heard that ActiveVIsion has a Linux version though don´t think it is open source and not sure if it´s working.* If you get this working w/ Linux Christopher please post your experiences!
David

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgKCrGvShZs&feature=related <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgKCrGvShZs&feature=related> (please excuse the 20 seconds of ads at the start--it really is amazing, though, if you haven't seen it.) *Would this software work with something like that? *Not only is the Wii 'smartboard' extremely affordable, it solves the size limitation of smartboards and promeathean boards. *Thanks, David

Old 01-16-2009, 04:28 PM
"David Van Assche"

Salasaga allows u to create learning objects that output to .swf
files... this could probably be used with whiteboard software
afterwards...

www.salasaga.org

kind Regards,
David Van Assche

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 1:45 AM, Christopher Chan

Old 01-16-2009, 04:28 PM
"David Van Assche"