Old 01-12-2009, 05:37 PM
"Sameer Verma"

Default which release to use?

Hello everybody,

We've had a LTSP lab for a while now, but it runs on Gutsy. We are
planning to redo the server with a newer base and try out the
fatclient setup.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPFatClients What I'd
like to ping the community on is whether to use Hardy (8.04 LTS) with
backports or use Intrepid (8.10). Our main reason to look at Hardy is
the LTS aspect. I am sendingthis to the devel list first because we
probably have more people here who know subtle differences in
implementation across releases.

Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University

Old 01-12-2009, 10:28 PM
"David Van Assche"

Hi Sameer Veerma,
You shuold be using intrepid Ibex. Many changes happend in Hardy
which I haven't had the time to support. It works just fine under
intrepd ibex 8.10. If you run into trouble, u can find me lounging on
#edubuntu and #ltsp. I'll gladlly make it work for you.

Kind Regards,
David (nubae) Van Assche
www.nubae.com

Old 01-14-2009, 03:25 PM
john

Hi all,

David I was under the impression that Hardy was the current LTS
release of Ubuntu/Edubuntu. From my point of view (school tech person)
a stable, supported version of LTSP is more useful than the a more
rapidly moving one. As the person who supports not only LTSP but all
of the other network stuff that happens in a school district I don't
have the resources to rebuild/test/re-intigrate ubuntu every release
cycle. What are your thoughts?

John

Old 01-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Jordan Erickson

John,

I use Hardy for all of my Ubuntu/LTSP/Edubuntu sites (9 total so far). I
agree with you 100% on your stance regarding sticking with a longer
release cycle. I see no reason to move to Ibex. I did the quick release
cycle thing in the Dapper -> Gutsy days, before I learned about SRUs and
backports. It takes some elbow grease to get new features/bugfixes into
LTS, but that's what we, the community, chime in to accomplish, no? For
example, I am currently involved in SRUing the infamous Firefox 3
entropy issue to Hardy. The fix was released for Jaunty. It actually
kinda makes me laugh to even hear about Jaunty, but IANAP and obviously
they need to think way further ahead than I do in regards to releases.

Take a look at these links for more information. Again, IMHO, and with
administrating 9 *buntu LTSP sites, Hardy is the sensible, sane choice.
Nobody that administrates a larger number of systems has time for a 6
month release cycle when you're trying to sustain a stable environment.
Luckily, with *buntu, you can choose either route.

http://laserjock.wordpress.com/2008/08/07/sru-needs-you/
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports

Cheers,
Jordan/Lns

Old 01-14-2009, 04:54 PM
"David Van Assche"

All great advice, but again, ltspfatclient does not work on hardy, so
if you want that, you have to upgrade to Ibex...

David

Old 01-14-2009, 05:18 PM
john

Thanks Jordan and David. I appreciate your feedback.

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Jordan Erickson

Old 01-14-2009, 08:01 PM
"Sameer Verma"

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 9:54 AM, David Van Assche <dvanassche@gmail.com> wrote:
> All great advice, but again, ltspfatclient does not work on hardy, so
> if you want that, you have to upgrade to Ibex...

Interesting. Can you tell me in brief why it does not work in Hardy?

Sameer

Old 01-14-2009, 11:48 PM
"David Van Assche"

Hi,
Not really. For some reason moving from Gutsy to Hardy stopped fat
clients from working. In Intrepid Ibex, things are working fine again.
There are so many components that could be at fault, but I suspect
udev and/or the rc sequence. I tried hard to get it to work, but
eventually gave up on it.

kind Regards,
David Van Assche

Old 01-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009, David Van Assche wrote:

> Not really. For some reason moving from Gutsy to Hardy stopped fat
> clients from working. In Intrepid Ibex, things are working fine again.
> There are so many components that could be at fault, but I suspect
> udev and/or the rc sequence. I tried hard to get it to work, but
> eventually gave up on it.

Did we discuss this before? Is there a bug reported?

I've never really had time to work on fat clients but I'm curious to know
what's going wrong. Can you not even login?

Gavin