Old 01-10-2009, 08:05 PM
"JD Barrett"

Default Homeschool & Edubuntu

Hey all,

I work with a group of homeschooling parents interested in the use of Edubuntu (myself included).* Generally we are local to the Portland, Oregon area but there are members beyond that.* Initially we started working on an article for a linux e-mag (which we're still working on) but it's kind of grown from that.

Eons ago, when rocks were soft and dirt was new, I had heard that the school systems of Belgium, Denmark, and the Netherlands were exploring the use of Linux as a completely integrated system between students, teachers, and parents.* A more recent search digs up no further information, so we're kind of going it alone at this point.

If you have any links, information, or wish to participate in the yahoo group directly please either respond to this list or feel free to join us at www.groups.yahoo.com/homeschoolfoss to help out.* This group is not just open to Portland, Oregon area homeschoolers, or even homeschoolers.* If you are comfortable, please post this notice (or one of your writing) in other groups that you feel might find it useful.

I find it interesting the correlation between the ethos of the Linux community and the ethos of the Homeschooling community.* Some might mistakenly believe them to be opposite forces, assuming Linux to be liberal and Homeschoolers to be opposite (or vice versa), but a closer examination will show that their core goals are quite similar.

Cheers,
Jimmy Barrett