Old 11-09-2008, 06:56 AM
"Jordan Mantha"

Default Keeping track of Edubuntu packages

Hi all!

With the help of William Grant I got script going [0] that will allow
us to keep track of the version state of Edubuntu packages in Debian
and Ubuntu. This allows us to quickly see which packages have newer
versions in Debian and gives quick links to developer-oriented
information.

As of right now it looks like only kino, moodle, and qcad have never
versions we can pull so if people want to take a crack at getting
involved with Edubuntu development those are a good opportunity to get
your hands dirty.

-Jordan

[0] http://qa.ubuntuwire.com/multidistrotools/edubuntu.html

Old 11-09-2008, 12:53 PM
"David Van Assche"

Just to start a little bit of discussion here, first thanks Jordan for
the thorough breakdown of where we are and where we are going. In
terms of the Edubuntu apps, maybe we could list them here in terms of
importance, take a look at the versions, and suggest some extra
packages that should go in there, since AIUI there we about 300mb to
play with. As a start, along with Moodle, Mahara (e-portfolio system
that works along side moodle or alone) would be worth integrating. It
is already available in intrepid as a package (1.4)

If we get that data, I'll add that to a page on edubuntu.org so we
have a better idea of what edubuntu is...

There has also been a big discussion on squeak/scratch/e-toys on the
sugar lists, and its real status. Turns out one can actually obtain
both the source, and the license in the latest incarnations seems to
be totally free now (scratch status is unclear.) Is there still a
problem with the development model here? IE, the squeak/etoys users
work in a VM? Obviously regardless of sugar being in or not, etoys and
squeak are valuable tools for teachers.

kind Regards,
David (nubae) Van Assche

Old 11-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Yves Combe

David Van Assche wrote:
> Just to start a little bit of discussion here, first thanks Jordan for
> the thorough breakdown of where we are and where we are going. In
> terms of the Edubuntu apps, maybe we could list them here in terms of
> importance, take a look at the versions, and suggest some extra
> packages that should go in there,
May i suggest immediately CaRMetal?

CaRMetal is java software for dynamic geometry. I have packaged it for
debian and is known to work on Ubuntu.

Home site:
http://db-maths.nuxit.net/CaRMetal/
Debian package:
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/carmetal

--
yves

Old 11-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Bud Roth

David:

I've been trying to get myself involved in Ubuntu/Edubuntu for a while
and would like to take a crack at helping with updating Edubuntu's
moodle .deb.

I can read up on how to convert a Debian package to an Ubuntu package
tomorrow at work. What should I do next?

Regards,

Bud Roth

Old 11-09-2008, 11:27 PM
"Caroline Ford"

We get moodle from Debian I presume. What version do they have in
Debian testing or unstable? We can get a merge or a sync of that into
jaunty. The MOTU pages on the wiki are a good place to start and
explain merging, syncing, updating packages, backports etc.

Sent from my mobile device

Old 11-10-2008, 02:41 AM
"Jordan Mantha"

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Yves Combe <yves@ycombe.net> wrote:
> David Van Assche wrote:
>> Just to start a little bit of discussion here, first thanks Jordan for
>> the thorough breakdown of where we are and where we are going. In
>> terms of the Edubuntu apps, maybe we could list them here in terms of
>> importance, take a look at the versions, and suggest some extra
>> packages that should go in there,
> May i suggest immediately CaRMetal?
>
> CaRMetal is java software for dynamic geometry. I have packaged it for
> debian and is known to work on Ubuntu.
>
> Home site:
> http://db-maths.nuxit.net/CaRMetal/
> Debian package:
> http://packages.debian.org/lenny/carmetal

Wow, nice app. I looked and we do in fact have carmetal in the Ubuntu
repository as of Intrepid. It would definitely be a good candidate for
Edubuntu. Does it work with openjdk-6-jre that you know of? If it does
then I think it would be fairly easy to add.

-Jordan

Old 11-10-2008, 02:51 AM
"Jordan Mantha"

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Caroline Ford
<caroline.ford.work@googlemail.com> wrote:
> We get moodle from Debian I presume. What version do they have in
> Debian testing or unstable? We can get a merge or a sync of that into
> jaunty. The MOTU pages on the wiki are a good place to start and
> explain merging, syncing, updating packages, backports etc.

Moodle has just one new upload in Debian, but it looks like a lot of
good changes. Here is the changelog entry:

moodle (1.8.2-2) unstable; urgency=high
.
* Adopt orphaned package (closes: #494642)
* Acknowledge security NMU (closes: #489533, #432264)
* Add Vcs-* fields to debian/control
.
Release-critical and security bugs:
.
* Depend on smarty instead of using the embedded copy that is shipped
with Moodle (closes: #471158, #488525, #504345)
* Patch security bug in the embedded (and customised) copy of phpmailer
(CVE-2007-3215, closes: #429339, #429190)
* Patch cross-site scripting bug (CVE-2008-3326, closes: #492492)
* Patch snoopy input sanitising (CVE-2008-4796, closes: #504235)
* Upgrade to new LGPL version of domxml-php4-to-php5 (closes: #496069)
.
Trivial bug fixes:
.
* Depend on zip (closes: #408995)
* Add mysql-client as an alternative to postgresql-client
(closes: #417554, #469094)
* Recommend php5-ldap (closes: #425839)
* Delete unnecessary script with bashisms (closes: #489634)
.
Lintian warnings:
.
* Bump Standards-Version to 3.8.0
* Add homepage field to debian/control
* Remove cvsignore file
* Remove extra license file
* Depend on yui instead of using an embedded copy

So it looks like moodle has a new maintainer in Debian, which is
awesome, but moodle isn't exactly what I would call a trivial package
so it will probably take some work.

-Jordan

Old 11-10-2008, 03:19 AM
"Jordan Mantha"

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 5:53 AM, David Van Assche <dvanassche@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to start a little bit of discussion here, first thanks Jordan for
> the thorough breakdown of where we are and where we are going. In
> terms of the Edubuntu apps, maybe we could list them here in terms of
> importance, take a look at the versions, and suggest some extra
> packages that should go in there, since AIUI there we about 300mb to
> play with. As a start, along with Moodle, Mahara (e-portfolio system
> that works along side moodle or alone) would be worth integrating. It
> is already available in intrepid as a package (1.4)

First, yes, we really could use a nice listing of what apps are
included with Edubuntu. This would be a really nice little project for
somebody who'd like to get involved with Edubuntu development or just
contribute a little back. What I would suggest is to create a scratch
wiki page for each release (start with Intrepid and Hardy). Probably
something like wiki.ubuntu.com/<your name>/EdubuntuIntrepidApps would
work well. Let the mailing list know if you do that so we don't get
duplicates and we can help. Once the list is fully populated, perhaps
with brief descriptions of the apps, we can move that content to the
edubuntu.org website so that it's more easily found with the rest of
the critical Edubuntu info.

Secondly, it would also be nice to add more packages to Edubuntu. I
think our first priority should be to the existing applications we
ship, making sure we look at bugs [0], have updated packages [1], and
everything is well integrated [2]. Once we've got that in hand though
there are lots of possibilities to grow Edubuntu's app selection.
There's currently 300-400 MB of free space available on the CD.

I have a fairly decent wiki [3] page that lists packages that we
should look at including in Edubuntu. The basic requirement is that
packages must already exist in the Ubuntu Universe repository. This
list isn't "we should package this app", but rather "we should promote
this package to Main and ship with Edubuntu". Please feel free to
start discussions on any of these apps, what's missing from my list,
etc.

> If we get that data, I'll add that to a page on edubuntu.org so we
> have a better idea of what edubuntu is...

agreed

> There has also been a big discussion on squeak/scratch/e-toys on the
> sugar lists, and its real status. Turns out one can actually obtain
> both the source, and the license in the latest incarnations seems to
> be totally free now (scratch status is unclear.) Is there still a
> problem with the development model here? IE, the squeak/etoys users
> work in a VM? Obviously regardless of sugar being in or not, etoys and
> squeak are valuable tools for teachers.

I'm hopeful that Squeak will be much better in Jaunty. Historically
Squeak has been non-free so we haven't been able to ship it. I did the
best I could to at least keep it operational but it could *really* use
a dedicated maintainer who can transition to a newer, free-er Squeak
that can include etoys and perhaps scratch and squeakland. For my
part, I'm quite certain I won't have any time to maintain squeak
myself but am certainly open to sponsorship/advisement if somebody
wants to step up to take it on.

-Jordan

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/~edubuntu-bugs/+packagebugs
[1] http://qa.ubuntuwire.com/multidistrotools/edubuntu.html
[2] increasing the pre-release testing efforts would really help to
spot problems
[3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JordanMantha/EdubuntuMIRCandidates

Old 11-10-2008, 03:22 AM
"Jordan Mantha"

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 11:56 PM, Jordan Mantha <laserjock@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> As of right now it looks like only kino, moodle, and qcad have never
> versions we can pull so if people want to take a crack at getting
> involved with Edubuntu development those are a good opportunity to get
> your hands dirty.

Sort of as a note-to-self and also to help those of you who may want
to get involved. The merging documentation is at:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/Merging

and packaging documentation, in general, is at:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide

-Jordan

Old 11-10-2008, 06:46 AM
"Caroline Ford"

I've been told that schoolforge is a good website for free education
software. Not checked it though.

Caroline

On 11/10/08, Jordan Mantha <laserjock@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 11:56 PM, Jordan Mantha <laserjock@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> As of right now it looks like only kino, moodle, and qcad have never
>> versions we can pull so if people want to take a crack at getting
>> involved with Edubuntu development those are a good opportunity to get
>> your hands dirty.
>
> Sort of as a note-to-self and also to help those of you who may want
> to get involved. The merging documentation is at:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/Merging
>
> and packaging documentation, in general, is at:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide
>
> -Jordan

Sent from my mobile device