Old 11-10-2008, 01:09 PM
"Morgan Collett"

Default Keeping track of Edubuntu packages

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 09:56, Jordan Mantha <laserjock@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> With the help of William Grant I got script going [0] that will allow
> us to keep track of the version state of Edubuntu packages in Debian
> and Ubuntu. This allows us to quickly see which packages have newer
> versions in Debian and gives quick links to developer-oriented
> information.
>
> As of right now it looks like only kino, moodle, and qcad have never
> versions we can pull so if people want to take a crack at getting
> involved with Edubuntu development those are a good opportunity to get
> your hands dirty.
>
> -Jordan
>
> [0] http://qa.ubuntuwire.com/multidistrotools/edubuntu.html

Wow, that's a nice tool. I tried to track this kind of thing for Sugar
manually in a wiki page (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SugarTeam/Packages)
but it was a very time consuming process.

Who can I contact to set it up for Sugar packages?

Regards
Morgan

Old 11-11-2008, 07:04 AM
Yves Combe

Jordan Mantha wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Yves Combe <yves@ycombe.net> wrote:
>
>> David Van Assche wrote:
>>
>>> Just to start a little bit of discussion here, first thanks Jordan for
>>> the thorough breakdown of where we are and where we are going. In
>>> terms of the Edubuntu apps, maybe we could list them here in terms of
>>> importance, take a look at the versions, and suggest some extra
>>> packages that should go in there,
>>>
>> May i suggest immediately CaRMetal?
>>
>> CaRMetal is java software for dynamic geometry. I have packaged it for
>> debian and is known to work on Ubuntu.
>>
>> Home site:
>> http://db-maths.nuxit.net/CaRMetal/
>> Debian package:
>> http://packages.debian.org/lenny/carmetal
>>

> Wow, nice app. I looked and we do in fact have carmetal in the Ubuntu
> repository as of Intrepid. It would definitely be a good candidate for
> Edubuntu. Does it work with openjdk-6-jre that you know of? If it does
> then I think it would be fairly easy to add.

It works fine with openjdk-6-jre, it's the default option for debian
now, it should be the case in the

2.8.9.dakbug-1 version in ubuntu (jaunty?).

The intrepid's version does have the old version depending on sun's java5, before debian people upload openjdk-6 in lenny.

I have last versions almost ready, as lenny is frozen they have not been
uploaded yet. They are here:
http://www.ycombe.net/debian/

--
yves