-   Edubuntu Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-development/)
-   -   Upgrading (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-development/181944-upgrading.html)

infiniti_guy 10-25-2008 01:17 AM

Upgrading

Can we upgrade from 8.02 Hardy LTSP Server 5.0.40 ubuntu7 to 5.1.x marked for
intrepid? and the same with the ltspfs version 0.5.0 ubuntu3 to 0.5.1? for
intrepid?

Are there any advantages? Is it safe? Will it work with Hardy as main server
(and not intrepid)?

Thanks :-)

Karl Larsen 05-02-2010 06:25 PM

Upgrading

My entire Linux experience has been installing the new version. I
have version 8.05 on my computer and for a learning experience I would
like to upgrade it to 8.10. How do you do this? I use sudo aptitiude
upgrade all the time to upgrade the current system. How do I get it to
upgrade to another version?

73 Karl

ps: I checked all my books. They do not cover this

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

steve reilly 05-02-2010 07:01 PM

Upgrading

Karl Larsen wrote:
> My entire Linux experience has been installing the new version. I
> have version 8.05 on my computer and for a learning experience I would
> like to upgrade it to 8.10. How do you do this? I use sudo aptitiude
> upgrade all the time to upgrade the current system. How do I get it to
> upgrade to another version?
>
> 73 Karl
>
> ps: I checked all my books. They do not cover this

Ive always used sudo update-manager -d

the d switch has update-manager look for new distributions. their are
other ways to do this, see here http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

PS. 8.04 can go directly to 10.04. Im not aware of an 8.05. unless
maybe you meant 8.04.5?

steve

Tom H 05-02-2010 07:03 PM

Upgrading

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

> My entire Linux experience has been installing the new version. I
> have version 8.05 on my computer and for a learning experience I would
> like to upgrade it to 8.10. How do you do this? I use sudo aptitiude
> upgrade all the time to upgrade the current system. How do I get it to
> upgrade to another version?

At the cli and if you were going from 9.10 to 10.04:
$ sudo aptitude update
$ sudo aptitude full-upgrade
$ sudo do-release-upgrade -m desktop
but I think that "do-release-upgrade" (and its GUI equivalent) will
upgrade you to the latest version not from one old (albeit an LTS one)
to another old version.

You should be able to upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 with the above
though. I would not feel comfortable doing so on a desktop though; on
a server, possibly, although I have spent the weekend upgrading some
servers from 8.04 and 9.04 to 10.04 by rebuilding the OS from scratch.

You could upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 with aptitude too but it is not a
one-step process.

Tom H 05-02-2010 07:05 PM

Upgrading

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 3:01 PM, steve reilly <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>> My entire Linux experience has been installing the new version. I
>> have version 8.05 on my computer and for a learning experience I would
>> like to upgrade it to 8.10. How do you do this? I use sudo aptitiude
>> upgrade all the time to upgrade the current system. How do I get it to
>> upgrade to another version?
>
> Ive always used sudo update-manager -d
>
> the d switch has update-manager look for new distributions. their are
> other ways to do this, see here *http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

For the who-knows-what-time, "-d" upgrades you to the latest
development release!

steve reilly 05-02-2010 07:20 PM

Upgrading

Tom H wrote:
> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 3:01 PM, steve reilly <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> wrote:
>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>> My entire Linux experience has been installing the new version. I
>>> have version 8.05 on my computer and for a learning experience I would
>>> like to upgrade it to 8.10. How do you do this? I use sudo aptitiude
>>> upgrade all the time to upgrade the current system. How do I get it to
>>> upgrade to another version?
>> Ive always used sudo update-manager -d
>>
>> the d switch has update-manager look for new distributions. their are
>> other ways to do this, see here http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
>
> For the who-knows-what-time, "-d" upgrades you to the latest
> development release!

point taken. correction.. use -c for a release upgrade.

steve

Tom H 05-02-2010 07:44 PM

Upgrading

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 3:20 PM, steve reilly <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> wrote:
> Tom H wrote:
>>> Ive always used sudo update-manager -d
>>>
>>> the d switch has update-manager look for new distributions. their are
>>> other ways to do this, see here *http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
>>
>> For the who-knows-what-time, "-d" upgrades you to the latest
>> development release!
>
> point taken. correction.. *use -c for a release upgrade.

I hope that I did not sound too harsh... But it is worrying that so
many people want to use the "-d" (or even "--devel-release"!).
Thankfully, I suspect that if you use it now, nothing will happen
because I don't think that the first alpha of MM (I have forgotten
what the letters stand for), but in a week/month/whatever you would
skip 10.04 with that command (unless there is some kind of failsafe
warning before the upgrade is run).

"-c" is to check whether an upgrade is available.

Karl Larsen 05-02-2010 07:45 PM

Upgrading

On 05/02/2010 01:03 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Karl Larsen<klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My entire Linux experience has been installing the new version. I
>> have version 8.05 on my computer and for a learning experience I would
>> like to upgrade it to 8.10. How do you do this? I use sudo aptitiude
>> upgrade all the time to upgrade the current system. How do I get it to
>> upgrade to another version?
>>
> At the cli and if you were going from 9.10 to 10.04:
> $ sudo aptitude update
> $ sudo aptitude full-upgrade
> $ sudo do-release-upgrade -m desktop
> but I think that "do-release-upgrade" (and its GUI equivalent) will
> upgrade you to the latest version not from one old (albeit an LTS one)
> to another old version.
>
> You should be able to upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 with the above
> though. I would not feel comfortable doing so on a desktop though; on
> a server, possibly, although I have spent the weekend upgrading some
> servers from 8.04 and 9.04 to 10.04 by rebuilding the OS from scratch.
>
> You could upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 with aptitude too but it is not a
> one-step process.

It appears I have seen the opportunity to upgrade to 10.04
while using the update manager. I will try that and see what happens.

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

"Guillermo O. Burastero" 05-02-2010 10:33 PM

Upgrading

Hi, I've had unpleasant results with previous releases upgrade which got me to a full mix-up installation.

So I recommend, after made a full and verified backup of the personal data, you do a complete new and clean operating system installation with the last version (Ubuntu 10.04).

If the personal data (usually /home) is in a separate from root disk partition, you can avoid make a personal data backup, but it's never a bad thing to do either (just in case...)
--

Guillermo O. Burastero
Usuario GNU/Linux #84879 - http://counter.li.org/

ICQ: 97148268

Ioannis Vranos 05-02-2010 10:33 PM

Upgrading

On Sun, 2010-05-02 at 12:25 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> My entire Linux experience has been installing the new version. I
> have version 8.05 on my computer and for a learning experience I would
> like to upgrade it to 8.10. How do you do this?

I think if you create the 8.10 installation CD/DVD, and insert it while
you are logged in, it will prompt you automatically to upgrade.

--
Ioannis Vranos

C95 / C++03 Software Developer

http://www.cpp-software.net