FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-03-2010, 12:01 AM
"Harry L. Lee"
 
Default Upgrading

personally, i build my systems in a way that makes a more brutal upgrade possible. i create a 20G partition for /, and a 30g for /home and a large partitioni name after the system (i saw someone here named theirs data, which is a very good idea.) when i want to "upgrade", i install with reformat of the rootfs partition, and leave the others intact.


> * * *My entire Linux experience has been installing the new version. I

> have version 8.05 on my computer and for a learning experience I would

> like to upgrade it to 8.10. How do you do this? I use sudo aptitiude

> upgrade all the time to upgrade the current system. How do I get it to

> upgrade to another version?

>

> 73 Karl

>

> ps: I checked all my books. They do not cover this

>

>



Ive always used sudo update-manager -d



the d switch has update-manager look for new distributions. their are

other ways to do this, see here *http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading



PS. *8.04 can go directly to 10.04. *Im not aware of an 8.05. *unless

maybe you meant 8.04.5?







steve







--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
harry@jonesnose.com
Harry L Lee (via gmail)
chief cook and bottle washer
http://jonesnose.com

mailto:harry@jonesnose.com
207-384-8030 (email preferred)


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-03-2010, 12:22 AM
NoOp
 
Default Upgrading

On 05/02/2010 12:44 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 3:20 PM, steve reilly <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> wrote:
>> Tom H wrote:
>>> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 3:01 PM, steve reilly <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> wrote:
>>>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>>>> My entire Linux experience has been installing the new version. I
>>>>> have version 8.05 on my computer and for a learning experience I would
>>>>> like to upgrade it to 8.10. How do you do this? I use sudo aptitiude
>>>>> upgrade all the time to upgrade the current system. How do I get it to
>>>>> upgrade to another version?
>>>> Ive always used sudo update-manager -d
>>>>
>>>> the d switch has update-manager look for new distributions. their are
>>>> other ways to do this, see here http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
>>>
>>> For the who-knows-what-time, "-d" upgrades you to the latest
>>> development release!
>>
>> point taken. correction.. use -c for a release upgrade.
>
> I hope that I did not sound too harsh... But it is worrying that so
> many people want to use the "-d" (or even "--devel-release"!).
> Thankfully, I suspect that if you use it now, nothing will happen
> because I don't think that the first alpha of MM (I have forgotten
> what the letters stand for), but in a week/month/whatever you would
> skip 10.04 with that command (unless there is some kind of failsafe
> warning before the upgrade is run).
>
> "-c" is to check whether an upgrade is available.
>

Good points. BTW:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver
[Maveric Meerkat]



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-03-2010, 01:18 AM
Karl Larsen
 
Default Upgrading

On 05/02/2010 01:05 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 3:01 PM, steve reilly<sfreilly@roadrunner.com> wrote:
>
>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>
>>> My entire Linux experience has been installing the new version. I
>>> have version 8.05 on my computer and for a learning experience I would
>>> like to upgrade it to 8.10. How do you do this? I use sudo aptitiude
>>> upgrade all the time to upgrade the current system. How do I get it to
>>> upgrade to another version?
>>>
>> Ive always used sudo update-manager -d
>>
>> the d switch has update-manager look for new distributions. their are
>> other ways to do this, see here http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
>>
> For the who-knows-what-time, "-d" upgrades you to the latest
> development release!
>
>
I did an upgrade on my 8.10 to 9.05 that appears to have been a
real success. I have some notes I took while doing the upgrade with the
regular Update Manager. I first updated the 8.10 to current and then
upgraded it to 9.05. It did ask some question's about changing some
parts and I said yes to all.


73 Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
Key ID = 3951B48D



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-03-2010, 04:15 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"
 
Default Upgrading

On Sun, 02 May 2010 12:25:21 -0600
Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

>
> My entire Linux experience has been installing the new version.
> I have version 8.05 on my computer and for a learning experience I
> would like to upgrade it to 8.10. How do you do this? I use sudo
> aptitiude upgrade all the time to upgrade the current system. How do
> I get it to upgrade to another version?
>
> 73 Karl
>
> ps: I checked all my books. They do not cover this
>
The Ubuntu Way is with the Update-Manager.
At the terminal issue the command:
sudo update-manager -d
and it will show if there is a new version available.

Just:
update-manager
without the -d will allow you to update the
existing version of Ubuntu.

Of course, with either command I command that you must follow the
following prompts promptly.

Or sumpin...

Cybe R. Wizard
--
When Windows are opened the bugs come in.
Winduhs

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-03-2010, 04:20 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"
 
Default Upgrading

On Sun, 02 May 2010 15:20:17 -0400
steve reilly <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> wrote:

> Tom H wrote:
> > On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 3:01 PM, steve reilly
> > <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> wrote:
> >> Karl Larsen wrote:
> >>> My entire Linux experience has been installing the new version. I
> >>> have version 8.05 on my computer and for a learning experience I
> >>> would like to upgrade it to 8.10. How do you do this? I use sudo
> >>> aptitiude upgrade all the time to upgrade the current system. How
> >>> do I get it to upgrade to another version?
> >> Ive always used sudo update-manager -d
> >>
> >> the d switch has update-manager look for new distributions. their
> >> are other ways to do this, see here
> >> http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
> >
> > For the who-knows-what-time, "-d" upgrades you to the latest
> > development release!
> >
>
> point taken. correction.. use -c for a release upgrade.
>
>
> steve
>
>
Or:
update-manager --dist-upgrade
to actually /do/ it instead of just checking.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
When Windows are opened the bugs come in.
Winduhs

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-03-2010, 04:24 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"
 
Default Upgrading

On Sun, 2 May 2010 15:44:24 -0400
Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

> I hope that I did not sound too harsh... But it is worrying that so
> many people want to use the "-d" (or even "--devel-release"!).
> Thankfully, I suspect that if you use it now, nothing will happen
> because I don't think that the first alpha of MM (I have forgotten
> what the letters stand for)

You are right and thank you for straightening me on that. And I'm
pretty sure the next version is(n't):
Meditating Monk. (...ey)
And you right that the next dev version is not yet rolled out.

>, but in a week/month/whatever you would
> skip 10.04 with that command (unless there is some kind of failsafe
> warning before the upgrade is run).
>
> "-c" is to check whether an upgrade is available.

update-manager --dist-upgrade
to actually get the upgrade.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
When Windows are opened the bugs come in.
Winduhs

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-03-2010, 06:13 AM
NoOp
 
Default Upgrading

On 05/02/2010 09:15 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
...
> The Ubuntu Way is with the Update-Manager.
> At the terminal issue the command:
> sudo update-manager -d
> and it will show if there is a new version available.

I suggest you read:

$ man update-manager

and

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Karl Larsen
 
Default Upgrading

On 05/03/2010 12:13 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 05/02/2010 09:15 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> ...
>
>> The Ubuntu Way is with the Update-Manager.
>> At the terminal issue the command:
>> sudo update-manager -d
>> and it will show if there is a new version available.
>>
> I suggest you read:
>
> $ man update-manager
>
> and
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades
> http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes
>
>
>
>
I used the Update Manager on my 8.10 Ubuntu to update the
system and then used it to upgrade to version 9.04. Here are notes I
took on the 8.10 version while it was being upgraded:


I am on 8.10 and getting 110 updates. When this is complete in
an hour I will try to upgrade to 9.04 which I can do with even this
early version. It will be a one step update as expected and both
versions use Grub1. It will be interesting to see if this note will
appear on my new 9.04 version

Also I am using a partition for /home/karl and this is loaded
by /etc/fstab and the partition is /dev/sda5. Be interesting if the
update will bring this along. All it needs to do is use the old /etc/fstab.

The Upgrade is 1066 files taking 3 hours to download on my slow
Qwest Internet. It does seem to be working fine.

I can't find any bad problems. When you boot up it looks like
8.11 but then it changes and asks for a name and password. After that it
looks like 9.04
and the the hard drive is still busy sorting out the new system.

It appears that the upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04 was a success. I used
the $ cat /etc/issue to determine for sure it did update.

My gut feeling is that you can upgrade this way and it will
work but it is VERY important to have the old version fully updated and
nothing working while the update is taking place.


73 Karl



--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
Key ID = 3951B48D



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Bill Vance
 
Default Upgrading

Howdy;

Running 10.04 here, and experiencing a little confusion in the docs
about upgrading.

Which command(s) just upgrade the software, and,
which one(s) upgrade the entire OS?

Thanks in advance.

Bill



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Waleed Hamra
 
Default Upgrading

On 19/02/12 10:28, Bill Vance wrote:
> Howdy;
>
> Running 10.04 here, and experiencing a little confusion in the docs
> about upgrading.
>
> Which command(s) just upgrade the software, and,
> which one(s) upgrade the entire OS?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Bill
>
>
>

if you use apt-get, to update all software on your system, while
sticking to release 10.04, you use:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

this above command will try to solve all dependencies, and will end up
with a result of upgrading some packages, and might even remove
packages, if deemed no longer unnecessary, or conflicting with newer
packages. for an apt-get command that only upgrades, and won't remove
conflicting packages (which means wont install some new packages), you
can use:

sudo apt-get upgrade

if you use aptitude, which i usually prefer, the equivalent of the above
commands is:

sudo aptitude full-upgrade

sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

all the above commands update packages from your current release, that
is, you stay on 10.04.

now if you want to upgrade the release, and get a newer one, like 10.10,
11.04 or 11.10, there's another special command-line update for these. i
am not sure how it'll react to having more than one release to upgrade
to (3 stable ones in your case), but from my experience with upgrades to
the next release directly, you use:

sudo do-release-upgrade

it's an interactive program, that will ask you few questions.
note, you need to have the package "update-manager-core" installed, to
have that program.

hope this helps

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems
Lead Technician at Illusion Computers Megastore

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:27 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org