Old 10-21-2008, 03:18 AM
"Mauricio Hernandez Z."

Default Ed/Ubuntu for Chilean Government Linux project at schools, Edulinux migration.

Hi all,

I am very excited with the news I am now sharing with you.

Edulinux is an innitiative sponsored by Chilean Government and carried
out by "Universidad de la Frontera" (aka UFRO). Edulinux has been
installed on over 2200 school computers (mainly old pentium pcs from
1997 to 1999).

Edulinux is/was based on Fedora and it uses LTSP. However, they are
now planing to migrating to Edubuntu for both LTSP and worksation
environments, mainly because they've seen Edubuntu continous efforts.

Personally, I was well impressed by the objectives and the commitment
UFRO people has towards bringing Ubuntu to schools.

Last week I had the chance to be part of many discussions held
regarding the plans for 2009, and I am very confident that, if UFRO
gets to convince Chilean Gov. about the benefits of continuing
supporting this project, we'll be able to witness a huge impact on
Chilean education IT plans.

I see great potential here for Edubuntu, as well as for Accessibility,
since I have mentioned to UFRO that there's a lot of development out
there in the repos just waiting to be used and tested, and what a
better way of doing it if not in schools?!

Chilean School policy has become very strong on the emphasis that "we
must provide options to ease the integration of children with
accessibility needs", so UFRO got my message that Edubuntu +
Accessibility packages would be a more powerful argument to convince
the government.

I've taken some photos I'll soon upload to share with you.

In the meantime, there's this wiki page to read more about Edulinux
(thou it's still in spanish):
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/EdulinuxChile

Cheers,
--
Mauricio Hernandez Z.

[Mail escrito sin caracteres especiales o acentos para evitar
conflictos de lectura entre sistemas]

Old 10-22-2008, 07:23 AM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi Mauricio

Mauricio Hernandez Z. wrote:
> I am very excited with the news I am now sharing with you.

I'm glad just to see your name again. We were wondering how you are on
IRC just last week.

> Last week I had the chance to be part of many discussions held
> regarding the plans for 2009, and I am very confident that, if UFRO
> gets to convince Chilean Gov. about the benefits of continuing
> supporting this project, we'll be able to witness a huge impact on
> Chilean education IT plans.

Great. Can we get a story for the Edubuntu website and the Fridge about
this as well?

> I've taken some photos I'll soon upload to share with you.

That will be great!

> In the meantime, there's this wiki page to read more about Edulinux
> (thou it's still in spanish):
> https://wiki.edubuntu.org/EdulinuxChile

I pasted it in a pastebin and google translated it. Could make sense of
most of it at least

-Jonathan