Old 10-18-2008, 11:51 AM
"Boateng Ebenezer"

Default I want Deploy open source software here in Ghana

Dear All,

AM Boateng Ebenezer from Ghana and work with rural community
empowerment center as I.T Manager and also have open wireless project
in Ghana which called Wireless Ghana Project as Technical Director.
We formed the Linux User Group in my organization for year my center
but the programme didn't sustain because of most people here like
Microsoft and they are use to it. That why join this forum to get more
ideas how I can run successful User group my institution.

I targeted all school in Ghana to be use open source software but
don't know where to start from. Please I need more suggestions on
this.

I saw on forum that they are plan to deploy education programme like
(Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Geography,.

This is good point for us in Ghana.

Sincerely.

Boateng

--
I.T manager
P.O. Box AD 79

Old 10-18-2008, 03:17 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi Boateng

Boateng Ebenezer wrote:
> AM Boateng Ebenezer from Ghana and work with rural community
> empowerment center as I.T Manager and also have open wireless project
> in Ghana which called Wireless Ghana Project as Technical Director.
> We formed the Linux User Group in my organization for year my center
> but the programme didn't sustain because of most people here like
> Microsoft and they are use to it. That why join this forum to get more
> ideas how I can run successful User group my institution.
>
> I targeted all school in Ghana to be use open source software but
> don't know where to start from. Please I need more suggestions on
> this.

It's great to see the kind of work you're doing in Ghana. Do you
currently have a center or place where you have the Linux machines
available for people to visit and use? It would be useful if you could
build a small community where people can learn and help each other.
Givign talks on what is possible will also get those Windows users
interested if they see that they can do all kinds of things that they
can't currently do on Windows. Perhaps the Linux User Group howto will
also be of some use to you: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/User-Group-HOWTO.html

Keep well!

-Jonathan

Old 10-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Jordan Erickson

Hi Boateng,

The only thing I can think of to suggest for you is to set up an
Ubuntu/Edubuntu system and showcase what it can do. Thin-client / LTSP
is a great way to show people what you can do if you have older hardware
that cannot be used effectively with Microsoft-based products, but can
be "recycled" into thin-clients in an Ubuntu/Edubuntu LTSP network. I
would suggest looking through
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP (the documentation section
especially) and seeing what might raise interest in your area.

As far as educational applications go, the Edubuntu suite would be
perfect it seems. You can simply install the applications, learn how
they work, and then show them to others. Children are a great means of
convincing other "powers that be" about the benefit of open-source and
"alternate" operating systems, as they are generally more willing to
learn new things.

I applaud your mission and wish you luck! Please keep in contact and let
us know how things are going. We'll be here to help you along the way!

Cheers from the other side of the planet,
Jordan

Old 10-19-2008, 09:31 AM
"Boateng Ebenezer"

Dear Jonathan,

Thank you very much for you advice and I appreciate it. Yes we have
big ICT center which can take 50 to 100 computers. You can check this
link http://rcempowerment.org/publications.html more information on my
organization. People visited my center everyday to do research on
library.

Please am going work with you guys one and one to get more ideas to
implement open source project in organization.

Best regards and keep well.

Boateng.

2008/10/18 Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jonathan@ubuntu.com>:
> Hi Boateng
>
> Boateng Ebenezer wrote:
>> AM Boateng Ebenezer from Ghana and work with rural community
>> empowerment center as I.T Manager and also have open wireless project
>> in Ghana which called Wireless Ghana Project as Technical Director.
>> We formed the Linux User Group in my organization for year my center
>> but the programme didn't sustain because of most people here like
>> Microsoft and they are use to it. That why join this forum to get more
>> ideas how I can run successful User group my institution.
>>
>> I targeted all school in Ghana to be use open source software but
>> don't know where to start from. Please I need more suggestions on
>> this.
>
> It's great to see the kind of work you're doing in Ghana. Do you
> currently have a center or place where you have the Linux machines
> available for people to visit and use? It would be useful if you could
> build a small community where people can learn and help each other.
> Givign talks on what is possible will also get those Windows users
> interested if they see that they can do all kinds of things that they
> can't currently do on Windows. Perhaps the Linux User Group howto will
> also be of some use to you: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/User-Group-HOWTO.html
>
> Keep well!
>
> -Jonathan

I.T manager
P.O. Box AD 79
Adukrom - Akuapem
Ghana, West Africa.
+233 24 495 5324
www.wirelessghana.com

Old 10-19-2008, 09:38 AM
"Boateng Ebenezer"

Dear Jordan,

Thank you very much for you advice and I appreciate it. Am good in
linux stuff especialy debian and ubuntu software use it all the time.
Please how can I get CDs to share to those who come to my center. I
have Internet but is not fast which download 650mb file in day. You
can also read more about my organization am working with, please this

--
I.T manager
P.O. Box AD 79

Old 10-22-2008, 06:01 PM
john

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 2:38 AM, Boateng Ebenezer <boaeben@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Boateng,

> Please how can I get CDs to share to those who come to my center.

You can have CD's shipped to you for free by going here

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

Hope this helps.

John