Old 12-12-2007, 01:35 AM
Loh Chin Huat

Default New to Edubuntu

Hi,
I just installed Edubuntu in my PC. I have 2 burning questions which need help.

1) I have 2 partitions, 1 WinXP and the other Edubuntu. By default, the system will boot
into Edubuntu if I did not make a selection at the bootup screen. How do I default
the bootup to be in WinXP, if not can I lengthen the time for selection so that I have more
time to react?

2) I am using Linksys USB Wireless-G adapter (WUSB54G ver 4) to connect to my
Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (WRT54G-SH) to connect to internet. It works
without problem in WinXP, even after I have installed Edubuntu. When in Edubuntu,
I can see my network name being detected (I have chose to broadcast the SSID for
configuration sake). But when I tried to connect to the network with my network key,
it just could not get connected. I tried various combination of the requirement of the key,
128-bit passpharse, hex, ascii, open system, shared... but just cannot. But my network
and other people's network can be seen in the list.

Can someone advise? Thanks in advance!

CH

The best games are on Xbox 360. Click here for a special offer on an Xbox 360 Console. Get it now!

Old 12-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Gavin McCullagh

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Loh Chin Huat wrote:

> 1) I have 2 partitions, 1 WinXP and the other Edubuntu. By default, the
> system will boot into Edubuntu if I did not make a selection at the
> bootup screen. How do I default the bootup to be in WinXP, if not can I
> lengthen the time for selection so that I have more time to react?

At a terminal (appliactions->accessories) type

gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

You can change the value "timeout" to lengthen the time you have to choose
and the value "default" to change which menu entry gets chosen by default.

> 2) I am using Linksys USB Wireless-G adapter (WUSB54G ver 4) to connect
> to my Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (WRT54G-SH) to connect to
> internet. It works without problem in WinXP, even after I have installed
> Edubuntu. When in Edubuntu, I can see my network name being detected (I
> have chose to broadcast the SSID for configuration sake). But when I
> tried to connect to the network with my network key, it just could not
> get connected. I tried various combination of the requirement of the key,
> 128-bit passpharse, hex, ascii, open system, shared... but just cannot.
> But my network and other people's network can be seen in the list.

This one's a little harder to debug. Can you give us the output of either
lspci or lsusb depending on whether it's an in-built/pc-card (lspci) or a
usb (lsusb). This will help us tell what type of card this is.

Gavin

Old 12-12-2007, 04:56 PM
"Néstor Amigo Cairo"

The problem, as told, is quite difficult to debug. Can you please attach some screenshot? Some of those problems are just misunderstood things. As wireless connections working with graphical tools is something really new to Linux, then it's easy to get confused by many facts. lspci, lsusb, debuggers and those tools are useful for some problems, but for the most, it's only needed to learn how to use it. Maybe there's no problem with the driver itself, but just some menu is not clear, or some option is not correct, and there are hundreds of them.

Personally, I take Linux as a pleasant option which is better than other OS's in many facts, and of course, it's free as in speech, but be patient about it. Don't expect to get used to it in two days. Having everything working except wireless thanks to the work of a community, freely, is just a miracle. It makes Windows look like a[n expensive] toy. But perfect software is impossible. How much time would be needed for someone to learn Windows? It will surely pull out Windows from your system in some months, or years, just like it did for me, take your time and enjoy it. :-)

Greetings.

2007/12/12, Gavin McCullagh <gmccullagh@gmail.com>:
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Loh Chin Huat wrote:

> 1) I have 2 partitions, 1 WinXP and the other Edubuntu. By default, the
> system will boot into Edubuntu if I did not make a selection at the
> bootup screen. How do I default the bootup to be in WinXP, if not can I

> lengthen the time for selection so that I have more time to react?

At a terminal (appliactions->accessories) type

********gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

You can change the value "timeout" to lengthen the time you have to choose

and the value "default" to change which menu entry gets chosen by default.

> 2) I am using Linksys USB Wireless-G adapter (WUSB54G ver 4) to connect
> to my Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (WRT54G-SH) to connect to

> internet. It works without problem in WinXP, even after I have installed
> Edubuntu. When in Edubuntu, I can see my network name being detected (I
> have chose to broadcast the SSID for configuration sake). But when I

> tried to connect to the network with my network key, it just could not
> get connected. I tried various combination of the requirement of the key,
> 128-bit passpharse, hex, ascii, open system, shared... but just cannot.

> But my network and other people's network can be seen in the list.

This one's a little harder to debug.**Can you give us the output of either
lspci or lsusb depending on whether it's an in-built/pc-card (lspci) or a

usb (lsusb).**This will help us tell what type of card this is.

Gavin

Néstor Amigo Cairo

+34 687 96 74 81
nestorac@gmail.com

Old 12-13-2007, 03:28 PM
"Will"

Hello, I'm new to Ubuntu and am struggling to find the information I
need. I am currently running Edubuntu Server 7.1 in its default
configuration with the exception of changing the ip and updating the
thin client image and sshkeys. All is working well.

My first goal is to disable the need for a machine key when use NX to
connect to the server from other clients. I suppose I am to run
something like "nxsetup --setup-nomachine-key", but I am unsure if or
how to do this in my current setup. Help would be appreciated.

This is on a private lan and session security is not a concern. I am
planning on using a separate thin client (2x PXE) to connect to the
Edubuntu ltsp, which will allow me to do load balancing when I add more
Edubuntu servers. I also wish some people to use an windows NX client
without having to worry about copying the key from the server.

Beyond this, I am hoping to have the server authenticate users with my
LDAP server (active directory), specifically thin client users. If
anyone has a recommended tutorial for this, that would be great.

Thanks!

Will

Old 12-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

in general, I'd suggest sending user-level questions to edubuntu-users list
rather then developer list. You'll get more help there

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007, Will wrote:

> I'm new to Ubuntu and am struggling to find the information I need. I am
> currently running Edubuntu Server 7.1 in its default configuration with
> the exception of changing the ip and updating the thin client image and
> sshkeys. All is working well.

Great.

> My first goal is to disable the need for a machine key when use NX to
> connect to the server from other clients. I suppose I am to run
> something like "nxsetup --setup-nomachine-key", but I am unsure if or
> how to do this in my current setup. Help would be appreciated.
>
> This is on a private lan and session security is not a concern. I am
> planning on using a separate thin client (2x PXE) to connect to the
> Edubuntu ltsp, which will allow me to do load balancing when I add more
> Edubuntu servers. I also wish some people to use an windows NX client
> without having to worry about copying the key from the server.

To be honest, NX is not a technology that's used much within Edubuntu so
I'd say you might be better off asking on an NX forum or list to get good
help on that. LTSP thin clients themselves usually use ssh tunnelled X
connections rather than NX.

> Beyond this, I am hoping to have the server authenticate users with my
> LDAP server (active directory), specifically thin client users. If
> anyone has a recommended tutorial for this, that would be great.

Matt Oquist maintains an automated installer for smb-ldap which will
apparently do this. I don't think it has been updated for 7.10 yet, so it
may not work. 7.04 (released last april)

http://majen.net/smbldap/

Jim Kronebusch has (or had) a manual howto for 7.04 which google now
caches. You might give that a read.

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:2ILdrKtaEpkJ:www.1-cs.com/ubuntu_ldap_howto.txt+ubuntu+ldap+ltsp&hl=en&ct=cl nk&cd=3

Gavin