Old 10-15-2008, 03:29 PM
"Adrian G. Mowrey"

Default Universal Education by Adrian G. Mowrey

Universal Education
(Ensure that all boys and girls complete a primary schooling)
*
In my opinion, for primary schooling to be successful, primary schools around the world should be freely available to any student. This project will try its best to solve absolutely any problem that stops hundreds, thousands, hundred of thousands, or even millions of boys and girls around the world to completely finish a primary schooling because of the high costs.*I believe that with the help of an information system (an application software or a system software)*we can accomplish anything that relates to this project. To save money on the learning materials, we must create an International center that creates all of the learning materials electronically. The formats of the learning materials will be unique and very vast, and will also be very interactive (text, illustrations, games, audio-video recordings with examples from the real world of each subject that relates to primary schooling, etc.). This International center will be sponsored by any country throughout the world, and all of the learning materials will be freely offered to any student. All of the universal subjects (Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Geography, etc.) will be translated in every language (Romanian, Spanish, English, Hindi, etc.), and then distributed to all of the countries with the appropriate speaking language. We all know that the technology of every field evolves very fast, but until then we try to offer the same learning materials, and then when the changes occur, we'll just develop an update, instead of building new learning materials every time.*

*
To be able to successfully accomplish this goal, I would like to create a dynamic Web application that will contain all of the learning materials needed in primary schooling. All of the learning materials will be translated into the appropriate languages and published under each country's category with their spoken language. Most of us don't realize how important and useful these first steps of the primary schooling can be to the future of our children. This project's goal is about trying its best to make primary schooling available to any child no matter what country he or she makes part of. We all know that many of the possibilities are a lot lower in some countries than others, but if we have faith in ourselves, I don't see why we can't accomplish this. We already have what we need (the knowledge, the technology, etc); all that remains is to put the best information together, spread it throughout the world, and make it happen until the year of 2015 or even sooner than that, if possible. In my mind, we must take a step at a time. We need more things than just an application. We also need the hardware through which we can access this particular project. First of all, we have to make this project happen no matter what it takes. Second of all, we must develop an efficient, portable piece of equipment that will have the capability to access the Internet, so that our children can have access to it at any time throughout the day that they wish, wherever they are located (at home, at school, away from home or school, etc.), something like OLPC (One Laptop per Child).

*
I wrote this for Imagine Cup -*Software Design, but since I'm not going to participate*in the Imagine Cup - Software*Design competition, I thought it's best to share with a project that relates to Education (Edubuntu). Thank you very much, and I hope this will solve the problem. I'm sure that there are plenty more things to add to this project, but that's*certainly a start, and if there are others that have ideas, they can always add to this project and*make it happen. Goodbye for now, and I will talk to you soon.**

--
Sincerely,

Adrian G. Mowrey

Old 10-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Scott Balneaves

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 11:29:31AM -0400, Adrian G. Mowrey wrote:

<snip>

> This project
> will try its best to solve absolutely any problem that stops hundreds,
> thousands, hundred of thousands, or even millions of boys and girls around
> the world to completely finish a primary schooling because of the high
> costs.

Yikes! Tall order

<snip>

> To save money on the learning materials, we must create an
> International center that creates all of the learning materials
> electronically.

Well, if you want to realize your dream, here's some practical things you might
want to look at to get you started:

1) Help with translations within Ubuntu/Edubuntu. Not all applications have
reached 100% translation yet, and doing the translation's fairly easy. Just
get yourself a launchpad account, and start submitting strings (I think the
"translate this application" link is still there for a lot of apps).

2) If you're looking to help with content, there's a few things you could do:
* The Edubuntu handbook could always use a makeover
* I don't know much about moodle, but maybe you could provide free content
(chem, geo, etc) for Moodle that people could use.
* Work on cleaning up/editing/translating pages on the wiki.

> This International center will be
> sponsored by any country throughout the world, and all of the learning
> materials will be freely offered to any student.

I know the U.N. has student programs, maybe contact them.

> All of the universal
> subjects (Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Geography, etc.) will be
> translated in every language (Romanian, Spanish, English, Hindi, etc.), and
> then distributed to all of the countries with the appropriate speaking
> language.

Much of this is already implemented in Lauchpad.

> To be able to successfully accomplish this goal, I would like to create a
> dynamic Web application that will contain all of the learning materials
> needed in primary schooling.

Moodle seems to be what you're looking for here.

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | "There are many causes I am prepared to die for,
Systems Department | but no causes I am prepared to kill for."