Old 10-12-2008, 06:15 PM
"Andrés Monroy-Hernández"

Default Creating deb package of MIT's programming environment for kids (Squeak based)

Dear edubuntu developers,

We are looking for volunteers to help us create a package of the
Scratch educational programming environment <http://scratch.mit.edu>
for Ubuntu in general and Edubuntu in particular. The current
installers (Win/Mac) come with all the necessary elements needed to
run Scratch (Squeak, some DLLs for Windows) as well as sample
projects and an image+sound library. We would like to have the
equivalent for Ubuntu.

We have been able to get Scratch run on the XO OLPC except for MIDI
support and already have two plugins for Ubuntu that allow users to
use the fullscreen presentation mode as well as a plugin for Unicode
support.

If you want to give it a try, you can probably do this:
sudo apt-get install squeak wget unzip
wget http://scratch.mit.edu/files/WinScratch.zip
unzip WinScratch.zip
squeak Scratch/Scratch.image

--
Andrés

Old 10-12-2008, 06:20 PM
"Caroline Ford"

2008/10/12 Andrés Monroy-Hernández <andres.mh@andresmh.com>:
> Dear edubuntu developers,
>
> We are looking for volunteers to help us create a package of the
> Scratch educational programming environment <http://scratch.mit.edu>
> for Ubuntu in general and Edubuntu in particular. The current
> installers (Win/Mac) come with all the necessary elements needed to
> run Scratch (Squeak, some DLLs for Windows) as well as sample
> projects and an image+sound library. We would like to have the
> equivalent for Ubuntu.

I see that it's under Creative Commons BY-SA which is fine.

Does it need packaging or porting to linux? Does it compile and run
okay on a linux system?

We can file a bug saying that it needs packaging but porting is
considerably harder.

Caroline

Old 10-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Stefan Nuxoll

On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 19:20 +0100, Caroline Ford wrote:
> 2008/10/12 Andrés Monroy-Hernández <andres.mh@andresmh.com>:
> > Dear edubuntu developers,
> >
> > We are looking for volunteers to help us create a package of the
> > Scratch educational programming environment <http://scratch.mit.edu>
> > for Ubuntu in general and Edubuntu in particular. The current
> > installers (Win/Mac) come with all the necessary elements needed to
> > run Scratch (Squeak, some DLLs for Windows) as well as sample
> > projects and an image+sound library. We would like to have the
> > equivalent for Ubuntu.
> >

> I see that it's under Creative Commons BY-SA which is fine.
>
> Does it need packaging or porting to linux? Does it compile and run
> okay on a linux system?
>
> We can file a bug saying that it needs packaging but porting is
> considerably harder.
>
> Caroline

Considering it is using Squeak I would assume it doesn't need any
porting.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:39 PM
"Andrés Monroy-Hernández"

Thanks for the quick response.

Stefan is correct. It doesn't need much porting, however there are
some features that do need some special add-ons to work on Linux, some
of them have been implemented already for the XO OLPC. They are:

a) Full screen presentation mode
b) Unicode support

The only thing missing is that some musical blocks need MIDI support.
We've heard Timidy MIDI synth on Linux could be helpful but I think
that even without MIDI support Scratch would be very useful on Linx.

So in summary I think it is just about packaging.

--
Andrés Monroy
Scratch Team at MIT

Old 10-12-2008, 06:40 PM
"Caroline Ford"

http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=28042

http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6207

I've filed a bug asking for it to be packaged -
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/282318

However I couldn't (trivially) find the source code.

caroline

Old 10-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Stefan Nuxoll

On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 19:40 +0100, Caroline Ford wrote:
> http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=28042
>
> http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6207
>
> I've filed a bug asking for it to be packaged -
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/282318
>
> However I couldn't (trivially) find the source code.
>
> caroline

All of the source will be contained in the squeak image, is one of the
oddities about smalltalk derivatives.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:45 PM
"Caroline Ford"

> All of the source will be contained in the squeak image, is one of the
> oddities about smalltalk derivatives.

Thanks. So it needs a smalltalk guru to look at?

If we can get this working we may be able to get it on the Edubuntu CD
for Jaunty. We'll have the space and it looks cool.

Caroline

Old 10-12-2008, 06:53 PM
"Andrés Monroy-Hernández"

I don't think we need a Smalltalk guru just someone who can put
together the files into a ubuntu package.

We have released the source code of our previous version here:
http://scratch.mit.edu/pages/source but we have not cleaned out the
code of the latest version yet. In any case, the source code does not
include the logo and the sharing capabilities so using the .image file
would be the best.

Stefan is right though, the .image file is what you need. The .image
is kind of like a .jar in Java.

I have a compiled version of the plugins for Linux if you need them. I
should put it on the Scratch website.

As Caroline has pointed out on her links, a couple of our users have
been able to run Scratch on Linux in different ways, it's just a
matter of packaging stuff...

--
Andrés

Old 10-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Stefan Nuxoll

On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 14:53 -0400, Andrés Monroy-Hernández wrote:
> I don't think we need a Smalltalk guru just someone who can put
> together the files into a ubuntu package.
>
> We have released the source code of our previous version here:
> http://scratch.mit.edu/pages/source but we have not cleaned out the
> code of the latest version yet. In any case, the source code does not
> include the logo and the sharing capabilities so using the .image file
> would be the best.
>
> Stefan is right though, the .image file is what you need. The .image
> is kind of like a .jar in Java.
>
> I have a compiled version of the plugins for Linux if you need them. I
> should put it on the Scratch website.
>
> As Caroline has pointed out on her links, a couple of our users have
> been able to run Scratch on Linux in different ways, it's just a
> matter of packaging stuff...
>

> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Caroline Ford
> <caroline.ford.work@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> All of the source will be contained in the squeak image, is one of the
> >> oddities about smalltalk derivatives.
> >
> > Thanks. So it needs a smalltalk guru to look at?
> >
> > If we can get this working we may be able to get it on the Edubuntu CD
> > for Jaunty. We'll have the space and it looks cool.
> >
> > Caroline

The source code for the plugins would be much preferred, along with a
makefile and configure script, unless you don't have one at which point
we can probably throw together a quick autotools project to compile
them.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:56 PM
"Caroline Ford"

2008/10/12 Andrés Monroy-Hernández <andres.mh@andresmh.com>:
> I don't think we need a Smalltalk guru just someone who can put
> together the files into a ubuntu package.
>
> We have released the source code of our previous version here:
> http://scratch.mit.edu/pages/source but we have not cleaned out the
> code of the latest version yet. In any case, the source code does not
> include the logo and the sharing capabilities so using the .image file
> would be the best.
>
> Stefan is right though, the .image file is what you need. The .image
> is kind of like a .jar in Java.

Hopefully someone will be able to look at it after the release of
intrepid at the end of the month. Please feel free to add extra info
to the bug.

Thanks again

Caroline

(We'd also welcome suggestions of good free education software that we
don't currently have packaged).