Old 09-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Máirín Duffy

Default Criteria for theme selection

Hi,

Since our deadline to choose a theme is Sep 21 I would like to make sure
before that point the criteria for selection are clear.

Our base requirements is that the theme must have all required artwork
needed for round 3.

We have not yet had a case where more than one theme met this basic
requirement. In case we do have multiple themes that meet this
requirement, we need a fair method to choose which theme is selected as
the default.

Some ideas:

- I believe Nicu suggested at one point that the number of people
involved in creating the theme should be a selection factor, as the art
team is a community effort.

- I think perhaps setting up a vote could also be useful. The vote could
be restricted to currently-active art team contributors and/or it could
be opened to the whole set of Fedora accounts.

- We could let FESCO decide.

My suggestion is that we have a vote within the set of active Fedora art
team contributors. The problem is how do we determine who is allowed in
this vote - who is active?

We could do:

- anyone who contributed a theme idea or artwork throughout the 3 round
process
- anyone who has contributed a design to the art team (via the design
queue, echo theme, or art theme process) in the past 6 months (the
fedora 9 release period)
- anyone who is in the art group in the account system (i don't think we
have cleaned this out yet though and there are a few inactive accounts
still I think)

What do you all think?

~m

Old 09-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Nicu Buculei

Máirín Duffy wrote:

We could do:

- anyone who contributed a theme idea or artwork throughout the 3 round
process
- anyone who has contributed a design to the art team (via the design
queue, echo theme, or art theme process) in the past 6 months (the
fedora 9 release period)
- anyone who is in the art group in the account system (i don't think we
have cleaned this out yet though and there are a few inactive accounts
still I think)

The membership queue is not in a bad shape, its main problem is people
who did the tasks needed for membership and then went silent.

I think we should be realistic and avoid excessive bureaucracy: I won't,
and I believe you won't either, compile by hand a huge list of all the
people who contributed on the wiki, mailing list, git, cvs, etc. for
half of a year and compare it with a list of votes (and I don't think we
can automate this).

Old 09-10-2008, 02:57 AM
Ian Weller

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 10:36:04AM -0400, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?M=E1ir=EDn_Duffy_ wrote:
> What do you all think?

Flip a coin. (kidding)

I don't doubt the existence of at least two of the three remaining
themes, and so I'm glad we're talking about this *now* instead of at the
last minute

I'm personally for a contributor-wide vote on it, using the FAS voting
system (go talk to Nigel Jones), because we want to ask the widest
audience possible, while still keeping the whole process sane and
relatively organized. Or, perhaps even better, take a two-part voting
approach; 50% of the vote allocated to current Art Team members (recent
contributions, 6 months, yada yada) and 50% for the community. I have no
freaking clue how the math for that would work, but I think it would
help alleviate both concerns of 1) some of the general public not
understanding usability (which I think is bunk, but whatever) and 2) not
including the entire community in the process.

To say it in the most crass way possible, it's the best solution to get
community input, while still showing that we can override it if we
really really really want to. It sounds horrible (or at least it does in
my mind), but it's the fairest way, IMHO.

And whatever it comes down to, it's still going to be really hard for me
to choose votes, even if we use Range Voting. Gears is growing on me

</rant>

--
Ian Weller <ianweller@gmail.com> http://ianweller.org
GnuPG fingerprint: E51E 0517 7A92 70A2 4226 B050 87ED 7C97 EFA8 4A36

Old 09-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Martin Sourada

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 22:27 +0300, Pavel Shevchuk wrote:
> Sorry for off topic, but could you please reconfigure your mail client
> to use traditional Re: in subject instead of just R:? It breaks
> threading in GMail (if not everything else) and it's very hard to
> follow discussion

Just for the record - it works with evolution (i.e. threading is O.K.)
but still... having subject: Re: R: Re: R: Re: something is pretty
ugly...

Martin