Old 12-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Francis Giraldeau

Default iTalc and Edubuntu

Hi,

There are many tools out there that does the same thing as iTalc. At the
Ubuntu Developer Summit last month, we settle to say that duplicating
efforts leads half functional tools.

We decided to concentrate our efforts to make iTalc the best desktop
management tool. Our goal is to make it work out of the box with
thin-clients.

Some work have been started, thanks to Stéphane Graber. We hold
modifications into the bzr branch here :

https://code.launchpad.net/~edubuntu-italc-devel/italc/italc-hardy

This is the code for the hardy target. All modifications are done with
patches, so it will be easy for you to merge them.

The roadmap for hardy is there :

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EdubuntuAndItalcHardy

Have a nice day,

Francis

--
Francis Giraldeau, Ing jr.
Analyste Infrastructure

Revolution Linux Inc.
2100 King ouest - bureau 260
Sherbrooke (Québec)
J1J 2E8 CANADA

http://www.revolutionlinux.com

Toutes les opinions et les prises de position exprimees dans ce courriel
sont celles de son auteur et ne representent pas necessairement celles
de Revolution Linux

Any views and opinions expressed in this email are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of Revolution Linux

Old 12-03-2007, 06:33 PM
MarioDebian

On Dec 3, 2007 7:18 PM, Francis Giraldeau
<francis.giraldeau@revolutionlinux.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are many tools out there that does the same thing as iTalc. At the
> Ubuntu Developer Summit last month, we settle to say that duplicating
> efforts leads half functional tools.
>
> We decided to concentrate our efforts to make iTalc the best desktop
> management tool. Our goal is to make it work out of the box with
> thin-clients.

Perhaps is too late but I have a compatible thin client (and
standalone) control panel that do more things than iTALC

It's made for my thin client project: TCOS [1] but can works in LTSP
or installed computers.

I have made right now some screenshots of new version in a real
classrom in my university (23 old computers with TCOS)

It uses an XMLRPC server (less network bandwitch than VNC) and GUI is
made in python gtk2

Screenshots:
http://www.tcosproject.org/tcosmonitor

Old screenshots:
http://trac.tcosproject.org/browser/trunk/web/docs/tcos-images/english

Packages:
http://www.tcosproject.org/packages.html

I have a __very alpha__ release of this app in web mode (PHP + AJAX)

http://idefix.eup.uva.es/tcosphpmonitor

user: admin
pass: admin

Go to preferences tab and put:
user: root
pass: root

Go to Main tab and press "Reload host list"

Greetings

PD.- I was in Sevilla in May showing this project to some Ubuntu/LTSP
developers.

[1] http://www.tcosproject.org
--
Mario Izquierdo
http://soleup.eup.uva.es/mariodebian

Old 12-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Francis Giraldeau

Hi Mario,

It's interesting. It seems that Mille-xterm in Quebec is about the same
kind of project as tcos in Spain. We should talk, because I think we
face the same kind of worries.

I was not aware of this tool. It seems pretty. I will give it a look. I
found the idea of a web interface really nice.

The problem I see with XMLRPC is that we will not be able to get real
time desktop sharing. Is that true? What about security, does anybody
can do a request for a desktop screen shot?

What about you, will you join on efforts for iTalc?

Thanks and have a nice day,

Francis Giraldeau

Old 12-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Stéphane Graber

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 13:18 -0500, Francis Giraldeau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are many tools out there that does the same thing as iTalc. At the
> Ubuntu Developer Summit last month, we settle to say that duplicating
> efforts leads half functional tools.
>
> We decided to concentrate our efforts to make iTalc the best desktop
> management tool. Our goal is to make it work out of the box with
> thin-clients.
>
> Some work have been started, thanks to Stéphane Graber. We hold
> modifications into the bzr branch here :
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/~edubuntu-italc-devel/italc/italc-hardy
>
> This is the code for the hardy target. All modifications are done with
> patches, so it will be easy for you to merge them.
>
> The roadmap for hardy is there :
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EdubuntuAndItalcHardy
>
> Have a nice day,
>
> Francis

Hi,

The current version (from bzr) has been uploaded to Hardy today and will
be available on archive.u.c in the next few hours.

It includes the UI fixes (removing the ICA icon, disabling the help
bubble by default and removing the "no configuration directory" message)
and better commands for logout, reboot and shutdown (for gnome and kde).

The package also creates the different keys at install time and set the
file permissions (admin group having write access on them).

Another upload will be done a bit later including the LTSP launchers
(for ICA and iTalc) running ICA on the right different ports depending
on the thin client IP and generating a .xml config file from the list of
currently connected clients.

Stéphane