Old 11-19-2007, 09:48 PM
"Ray Lauff"

Default [dm-devel] Device too small for target

Hello all-

I have a 7.4Tb lvm2 volume that was working fine until this morning,
when I rebooted the server. It was a 600Gb disk that I did a

lvextend -L+6.7T /dev/homegroup/home
resize2fs /dev/homegroup/home

on last week, and that disk worked fine all week. During reboot, I
get the messages

kernel: device-mapper: table: device 8:193 too small for target
kernel: device-mapper: table: 253:0: linear: dm-linear: Device lookup failed
kernel: device-mapper: ioctl: error adding target to table

and, needless to say, the disk won't come up

# mount /dev/mapper/homegroup-home /home -t ext3
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
/dev/mapper/homegroup-home,
missing codepage or other error
(could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
dmesg | tail or so

I've also tried a fsck, but that comes back with

fsck -t ext3 /dev/mapper/homegroup-home
fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
fsck.ext3: Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/mapper/homegroup-home

filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

Kernel is 2.6.18-8.1.10.el5PAE.

Is there something else I need to do with the device mapper to change
the size of something for this larger lvm?

# lvs
LV VG Attr LSize Origin Snap% Move Log Copy%
home homegroup -wi-d- 7.35T

The hardware all appears to be fine (it's an EMC SAN).

I apologize if this isn't the best place to ask this, but if anyone
has any experience with this error I'd appreciate any help on
correcting it. If there's a better list for this question please
point me there and I'll go away.

Thanks.