-   -   shutting down logical volumes once an underlying device fails? (http://www.linux-archive.org/device-mapper-development/708110-shutting-down-logical-volumes-once-underlying-device-fails.html)

Christoph Hellwig 09-28-2012 01:05 PM

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 04:11:17PM -0400, Mike Snitzer wrote:

> Don't think any shutdown should be initiated by the kernel.
>
> But events that userspace could respond to by deactivating (an
> arbitrarily complex) lvm device would be the way forward IMHO.

Deactivating is maybe a bit of a too strong word. But I'd expect we'll
get EIO from al sectors not just those on the failed device.

> Could this tie back to needing better UA handling/notification between
> kernel<->userspace?

That current proposed solution we have internally is to simply poll
the status output for the PVs and handle it all in userspace. To me
this seems a bit clumsy, but at least it's easily doable in short time.