-   -   shutting down logical volumes once an underlying device fails? (http://www.linux-archive.org/device-mapper-development/707573-shutting-down-logical-volumes-once-underlying-device-fails.html)

Christoph Hellwig 09-26-2012 04:11 PM

shutting down logical volumes once an underlying device fails?

A coworker has been testing failure scenarious using lvm, and noticed
that when a PV fail a filesystem on a logical volume that spans multiple
PVs only fails once it accesses the actually failed physical device.

At least for system using higher level error detection and replication
behaviour that fails a LV as soon as one of the underlying devices fails
would be much more helpful. Is the current LVM behaviour intention and
should we work around this using userspace monitoring, or would be
patches to introduce a shutdown state similar to what we have in XFS for
example be welcome?