Old 09-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Milan Broz

Default dm-integrity: integrity protection device-mapper target

On 09/24/2012 11:55 AM, Dmitry Kasatkin wrote:
> Both dm-verity and dm-crypt provide block level integrity protection.

This is not correct. dm-crypt is transparent block encryption target,
where always size of plaintext == size of ciphertext.

So it can provide confidentiality but it CANNOT provide integrity protection.

We need extra space to store auth tag which dmcrypt cannot provide currently.

> dm-integrity provides a lighter weight read-write block level integrity
> protection for file systems not requiring full disk encryption, but
> which do require writability.

Obvious question: can be dm-verity extended to provide read-write integrity?

I would prefer to use standard mode like GCM to provide both encryption and
integrity protection than inventing something new.

Milan