Old 08-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Wesley Miaw

Default dm: verity support data device offset (Linux 3.4.7)

On Aug 8, 2012, at 7:04 PM, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:

> However, first you need to address the second part of Mikulas's email,
> namely to make the case for these changes rather than making no kernel
> changes and instead stacking the verity target over a linear target.
>
> To put this another way, your patch offers an alternative way to do
> something we think the existing kernel can already do, so you need to
> advance some reasons why you believe the new alternative method is worth
> adding to the kernel and explain this in the patch header.

I'm afraid for some reason I didn't get Mikulas's first email, only the reply from Milan which must have been an incomplete quote of Mikulas's text.

For my part, I approached this as porting my existing code to the new dm-verity implementation included in Linux 3.4. The previous code used a data offset as this was convenient and directly supported the block device image format I put together back then.

However I can indeed accomplish what I need using linear, it's just a bit more code. I am not able to measure any runtime performance difference. The primary benefit I can see for is the reduced kernel footprint if the linear target does not need to be included (and my corresponding setup code is about 1/3 smaller). With my cross-compiled kernel the savings is ~1KB; this is obviously a very small benefit.

So I would defer to others on this. While supporting the data offset would be convenient and match well with my specific use case I can live without it and I don't think the size cost is significant enough to matter. I expect to get some feedback from other developers in the coming months regarding my Linux 3.4 integration but I doubt it would change my current opinion on the matter.

Thanks,
--
Wesley Miaw--