Old 06-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Vivek Goyal

Default dm transaction manager: handle space map checker failure

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 05:20:10PM -0400, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 03:24:59PM -0400, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> > If CONFIG_DM_DEBUG_SPACE_MAPS is enabled and dm_sm_checker_create()
> > fails, dm_tm_create_internal() would still return success even though it
> > cleaned up all resources it was supposed to have created.
> >
> > Fix the space map checker code to return an appropriate ERR_PTR and have
> > dm_tm_create_internal() check for it with IS_ERR.
> >

> I tested the patch and it works. It fails gracefully instead of segfaulting.
>
> device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Cannot allocate memory
>
> I still do get waring though about large memory allocation. That's a
> separate issue though.

I put a trace_printk() in ca_create() to see how much memory we are trying
to allocated using kzalloc. And answer is 10485760. Number of blocks
obtained from space map is 2621440. I think this might be happening because
my metadata device size is 10G.

Thanks
Vivek