-   -   Ext4 and xfs problems in dm-thin on allocation and discard (http://www.linux-archive.org/device-mapper-development/674655-ext4-xfs-problems-dm-thin-allocation-discard.html)

"Ted Ts'o" 06-19-2012 07:58 PM

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 11:28:56AM -0400, Mike Snitzer wrote:

> That is an lvm2 BZ but there is further kernel work needed.
>
> It should be noted that the "external origin" feature was added to the
> thinp target with this commit:
> http://git.kernel.org/linus/2dd9c257fbc243aa76ee6d
>
> It is start, but external origin is kept read-only and any writes
> trigger allocation of new blocks within the thin-pool.

Hmm... maybe this is what I had been told. I thought there was some
feature where you could take a read-only thinp snapshot of an external
volume (i.e., a pre-existing LVM2 volume, or a block device), and then
after that, make read-write snapshots using the read-only snapshot as
a base? Is that something that works today, or is planned? Or am I
totally confused?

And if it is something that works today, is there a web site or
documentation file that gives a recipe for how to use it if we want to
do some performance experiments (i.e., it doesn't have to be a user
friendly interface if that's not ready yet).

Thanks,

- Ted