Old 01-19-2012, 07:30 PM
"H. Peter Anvin"

Default dmsetup fails on latest kernel

On 01/19/2012 12:17 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:13 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:
>> Could you please send me:
>>
>> a) your full strace;
>> b) arch/x86/kernel/syscall_32.o from your build?
>
> Btw, the strace before-and-after (working vs nonworking) would
> probably be useful. They aren't easily comparable (all the random
> pointers change depending on allocations etc), but some scripting and
> editing out pointer values might make the difference be obvious.
>
> Linus

Possible. I have actually reproduced it and reduced it to a small test
case already, so I hopefully will have it nailed down soon.

-hpa

Old 01-19-2012, 08:16 PM
"H. Peter Anvin"

Here is a patch which should fix this problem. I will run a few more
tests and then push it with the rest of the urgent queue to Linus.

-hpa

Old 01-20-2012, 11:52 AM
"Kasatkin, Dmitry"

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 9:58 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On 01/19/2012 11:05 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have bisected the problem...
>>>
>>> It is introduced by this commit:
>>>
>>> 303395ac3bf3e2cb488435537d416bc840438fcb is the first bad commit
>>> commit 303395ac3bf3e2cb488435537d416bc840438fcb
>>> Author: H. Peter Anvin<hpa@linux.intel.com>
>>> Date: * Fri Nov 11 16:07:41 2011 -0800
>>>
>>> * *x86: Generate system call tables and unistd_*.h from tables
>>

>> Interesting. I just munged the old pre-merge
>>
>> * arch/x86/kernel/syscall_table_32.S
>>
>> and the new
>>
>> * arch/x86/syscalls/syscall_32.tbl
>>
>> with some trivial shell scripting, and they are definitely identical.
>>
>> So the tables look like they match 1:1.
>>
>> The compat tables match too, except the new list contains the entry
>> for bdflush (134), but that's a legacy thing that doesn't matter.
>>
>> I wonder what else could be going on. Wrong number of system calls
>> check? Peter, any ideas?
>>

> Not off the top of my head. *I will try to reproduce this and see what the
> problem is. *Dmitry, what version of binutils and gcc are you using? *It
> could be that there is a toolchain problem.

gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.1-9ubuntu3) 4.6.1
binutils 2.21.53.20110810-0ubuntu5.1

Old 01-20-2012, 12:35 PM
"Kasatkin, Dmitry"

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:
> Here is a patch which should fix this problem. *I will run a few more
> tests and then push it with the rest of the urgent queue to Linus.
>
> * * * *-hpa

Hi,

Yes. It solves the problem..
Do you still want straces?

- Dmitry

Old 01-20-2012, 01:45 PM
"H. Peter Anvin"

On 01/20/2012 05:35 AM, Kasatkin, Dmitry wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:
>> Here is a patch which should fix this problem. I will run a few more
>> tests and then push it with the rest of the urgent queue to Linus.
>>
>> -hpa
>
> Hi,
>
> Yes. It solves the problem..
> Do you still want straces?