Old 11-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Pedro Bandim Faustino

Default user defined device name and table - SOLVED

malahal@us.ibm.com wrote:

Pedro Bandim Faustino [pedro.faustino@fccn.pt] wrote:

Hi All,

I have a working multipath on root, but some questions still unanswered.
I'm hoping you can help me out

But this is what I really would like to have:

Output of multipath -ll:
SRV07_BOOT (3600a0b8000295d64000009304742b4c8) dm-0 IBM,1814 FAStT
[size=4.0G][features=1 queue_if_no_path][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 2:0:0:0 sda 8:0 [active][ready]
\_ 3:0:0:0 sdc 8:32 [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=6][active]
\_ 2:0:1:0 sdb 8:16 [active][ready]
\_ 3:0:1:0 sdd 8:48 [active][ready]

I can modify the table by modifying the init script in the initrd image and
then booting with the modified initrd image but I don't know how to change
the name from mpath0 to SRV07_BOOT.

I don't know how Fedora Core 7 handles this in the initrd. Old RHEL
systems (prior to RHEL5.1) have nash commands to construct hard coded
multipath devices. You probably supply the name as part those commands.
If Fedora Core 7 uses something similar to RHEL5.2, then you could
probably use aliases in the multipath.conf file and rebuild initrd???

Fedora does use nash commands in its mkinitrd script. From what I
understood Fedora 7 mkinitrd doesn't fetch multipath settings from the
conf file, instead it checks the current, in use, settings.

So, what I've done was change the table (at boot time, modifying the
init script of the initrd image) and rebooted with this new image.
Then, I've changed the friendly name (using dmsetup rename command),
issued a mkinitrd and rebooted with this new image.

(You can do the above by modifying the init script just once)

So I finally got the what I wanted and also the desired names at
/dev/mapper and /dev/mpath.
What I'm going to do now is configure the multipathd and multipath.conf
to finish my setup.

Cheers and thanks for your help,
Pedro Bandim Faustino