-   -   kpartx return codes (http://www.linux-archive.org/device-mapper-development/607568-kpartx-return-codes.html)

Pádraig Brady 12-07-2011 02:55 PM

kpartx return codes

I noticed some issues with kpartx return codes:

On an unconnected loop device we get warnings,
but an EXIT_SUCCESS ?

# kpartx -a /dev/loop1 && echo EXIT_SUCCESS
read error, sector 0
llseek error
llseek error
llseek error
EXIT_SUCCESS

Also for a loop device that is connected,
I get a "failed" warning, but the EXIT_SUCCESS
is appropriate in that case as the mapped device
is present and usable

# kpartx -a /dev/loop0
/dev/mapper/loop0p1: mknod for loop0p1 failed: File exists

cheers,
Pádraig.

p.s. the git repo on kernel.org is no longer available

Pádraig Brady 01-12-2012 04:58 PM

kpartx return codes

On 12/07/2011 03:55 PM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> I noticed some issues with kpartx return codes:
>
> On an unconnected loop device we get warnings,
> but an EXIT_SUCCESS ?
>
> # kpartx -a /dev/loop1 && echo EXIT_SUCCESS
> read error, sector 0
> llseek error
> llseek error
> llseek error
> EXIT_SUCCESS
>
> Also for a loop device that is connected,
> I get a "failed" warning, but the EXIT_SUCCESS
> is appropriate in that case as the mapped device
> is present and usable
>
> # kpartx -a /dev/loop0
> /dev/mapper/loop0p1: mknod for loop0p1 failed: File exists
>
> cheers,
> Pádraig.
>
> p.s. the git repo on kernel.org is no longer available

repo is still not available.
I was kinda waiting for that before attempting to look at the above issues.

cheers,
Pádraig.

Christophe Varoqui 01-12-2012 05:58 PM

kpartx return codes

On jeu., 2012-01-12 at 17:58 +0000, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> On 12/07/2011 03:55 PM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> > I noticed some issues with kpartx return codes:
> >
> > On an unconnected loop device we get warnings,
> > but an EXIT_SUCCESS ?
> >
> > # kpartx -a /dev/loop1 && echo EXIT_SUCCESS
> > read error, sector 0
> > llseek error
> > llseek error
> > llseek error
> > EXIT_SUCCESS
> >
> > Also for a loop device that is connected,
> > I get a "failed" warning, but the EXIT_SUCCESS
> > is appropriate in that case as the mapped device
> > is present and usable
> >
> > # kpartx -a /dev/loop0
> > /dev/mapper/loop0p1: mknod for loop0p1 failed: File exists
> >
> > cheers,
> > Pádraig.
> >
> > p.s. the git repo on kernel.org is no longer available
>
> repo is still not available.
> I was kinda waiting for that before attempting to look at the above issues.

The master repo of multipath-tools is now on http://git.opensvc.com

Sorry for not advertizing more.

cvaroqui