Old 09-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Jens Axboe

Default block: remove support for bio remapping from ->make_request

On 2011-09-11 16:51, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> There is very little benefit in allowing to let a ->make_request
> instance update the bios device and sector and loop around it in
> __generic_make_request when we can archive the same through calling
> generic_make_request from the driver and letting the loop in
> generic_make_request handle it.

Agree, this looks good! Will apply for 3.2.

> Note that various drivers got the return value from ->make_request and
> returned non-zero values for errors.

Hadn't noticed that, I guess the return values are easy to get wrong in
that case. Never a good sign.

--
Jens Axboe

Old 09-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Jens Axboe

On 2011-09-12 14:25, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 11:59:52AM +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
>> On 2011-09-11 16:51, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>>> There is very little benefit in allowing to let a ->make_request
>>> instance update the bios device and sector and loop around it in
>>> __generic_make_request when we can archive the same through calling
>>> generic_make_request from the driver and letting the loop in
>>> generic_make_request handle it.
>>
>> Agree, this looks good! Will apply for 3.2.
>
> Are you going to fix the issue Neil pointed out beforehand?

Yep, I merged that one in with the 2/2 patch and added his Acked-by as
well.

--
Jens Axboe