Old 07-17-2011, 07:03 PM
David Cramblett

Default device mapper not finding all devices

I apologize if this is the wrong place to be seeking assistance. The
OS specific support lists didn't seem to know anything about this
issue.

I updated my system and after reboot the logical volumes did not
mount. A quick search and I found that /dev/vg0/lvol0 was missing
from the /dev tree. However, they logical volume seems to be intact
from the output of LVM. I found what appears to be an issue that
device-mapper is running into on boot:

Current Software:
Linux 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue May 31 13:23:01 EDT 2011 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux
device-mapper-1.02.55-2.el5

Kernel Messages:
device-mapper: multipath: version 1.0.6 loaded
device-mapper: table: 253:4: linear: dm-linear: Device lookup failed
device-mapper: ioctl: error adding target to table

I did some research and the only info I could find was regarding dmsetup:

#dmsetup status
pdc_eehgddjjp1: 0 976768002 linear
pdc_eehgddjj: 0 976772992 linear
via_cdeadaheebp1: 0 976768002 linear
via_cdeadaheeb: 0 1953546240 striped 2 8:0 8:16 1 AA

Looks like something is wrong with the vg0-lvol0 entry above, but I
can't figure out how to fix it. There is also another HDD on each of
the via and pdc controllers that are seen by the system, but not
showing up in the "status" list above. There is also a disk connected
to PATA port "/dev/hda" that is part of the lvol.

The device-mapper device is being created for the lvol:

/dev/mapper/vg0-lvol0

David

--
David Cramblett

Old 07-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Phillip Susi

Linux 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue May 31 13:23:01 EDT 2011 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux
device-mapper-1.02.55-2.el5

2.6.18 is now 5 years old; it might be time to upgrade.

I did some research and the only info I could find was regarding dmsetup:

#dmsetup status
pdc_eehgddjjp1: 0 976768002 linear
pdc_eehgddjj: 0 976772992 linear
via_cdeadaheebp1: 0 976768002 linear
via_cdeadaheeb: 0 1953546240 striped 2 8:0 8:16 1 AA

Looks like something is wrong with the vg0-lvol0 entry above, but I
can't figure out how to fix it. There is also another HDD on each of

You only seem to have 4 entries for two dmraid disks ( which is not well
supported so you should not be using it unless you need to dual boot
with windows ) and a partition on each. It is also quite strange that
the pdc array is using a linear mapping. Could it be a degraded mirror?

the via and pdc controllers that are seen by the system, but not
showing up in the "status" list above. There is also a disk connected
to PATA port "/dev/hda" that is part of the lvol.

What disks are supposed to be LVM physical volumes? The output of
pvdisplay may prove useful. An lvchange -ay might also be worthwhile.

The device-mapper device is being created for the lvol:

/dev/mapper/vg0-lvol0

If it had actually been created, then it should show up in dmsetup
status. The system appears to be failing to create it.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:48 PM
David Cramblett

Thanks for the response. I did figured out the issue a few days ago.
This was a CentOS 5.6 system, and 2.6.18 was the newest kernel I could
get for that distribution. They did just release CentOS 6.0 and I was
trying to prepare for a migration when this issue arose.

I didn't even think I was using dmraid. Turns out that I created a
dmraid set a long time ago and then decided to replace with a spanned
logical volume. I guess the metadata was still on the disks and for
some reason it didn't bite me until I upgraded some software (not sure
which package it was) or made some type of change. I deactivated
dmraid on the drives and the problem was gone.

Thanks!

David

Old 07-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Gianluca Cecchi

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 10:48 PM, David Cramblett wrote:
> Thanks for the response. I did figured out the issue a few days ago.
> This was a CentOS 5.6 system, and 2.6.18 was the newest kernel I could
> get for that distribution.

I'm not a kernel expert, but keep in mind that RHEL
2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 kernel is very different from the upstream 2.6.18.
They make their systems ABI compatible throughout the lifetime of the
major version(4.x, 5.x).
So every major version of RHEL (es 5.x, 6.x) fixes the base kernel in
rpm name and then increments only the "-" part after it.
New features are typically not backported to current versions of the
kernel, newer drivers are often back ported (with their bugs too ;-),
assuming the driver existed in the RHEL kernel.
For example RH EL 6.0 was at 2.6.32 when it landed.
Now rh el 6.1 + updates has arrived at least at
2.6.32-131.2.1.el6.x86_64 but it is quite different from the original
kernel.org 2.6.32.
You could issue a command such as

rpm -q --changelog kernel-2.6.18-238.12.1.el5

to see all the patches + backports eventually added to a particular kernel rpm.
You can also download the source rpm and see inside the tgz files all
the patches applied (until the RH EL strategy changes in this respect
due to Oracle and Novell providing recompiled rpms for their
products/support plans...)

HIH,
Gianluca