Old 06-30-2011, 02:10 PM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"

Default Native systemd service files for multipathd

Is anyone taking a look at porting the multipathd legacy sysv init
script to native systemd unit file?

I filed 690828 on 2011-03-25 and yet to receive somekind of response on
it and unless some action is taken then a) device-mapper-multipath will
be blocking the Fedora 16 alpha release or b) be ripped out of @base and
be made sure it does not get installed on the official livecd.

So please take a look at this..

Thanks
JBG

Ps.
You will need to cc me to your responses since I'm not subscripted
to this list.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Christophe Varoqui

On jeu., 2011-06-30 at 14:10 +0000, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" wrote:
> Is anyone taking a look at porting the multipathd legacy sysv init
> script to native systemd unit file?
>
> I filed 690828 on 2011-03-25 and yet to receive somekind of response on
> it and unless some action is taken then a) device-mapper-multipath will
> be blocking the Fedora 16 alpha release or b) be ripped out of @base and
> be made sure it does not get installed on the official livecd.

What is the status of this request ? Has anyone stepped-in to the job ?
If not I'll look into it. If you have Fedora-specific systemd
implementation guideline, please point me to the appropriate
documentation.

Thanks,
--
Christophe Varoqui <christophe.varoqui@opensvc.com>
OpenSVC, tools to scale.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Hannes Reinecke

On 08/22/2011 03:47 PM, Christophe Varoqui wrote:

On jeu., 2011-06-30 at 14:10 +0000, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" wrote:

Is anyone taking a look at porting the multipathd legacy sysv init
script to native systemd unit file?

I filed 690828 on 2011-03-25 and yet to receive somekind of response on
it and unless some action is taken then a) device-mapper-multipath will
be blocking the Fedora 16 alpha release or b) be ripped out of @base and
be made sure it does not get installed on the official livecd.

What is the status of this request ? Has anyone stepped-in to the job ?
If not I'll look into it. If you have Fedora-specific systemd
implementation guideline, please point me to the appropriate
documentation.

I have talked with Kay & Lennart about this.

The main problem here is that we don't / can't know if a device is
multipathed or not; this is basically a policy decision.
Even a simple switch (multipath on/off) wouldn't suffice here, as
this particular device might be excluded via the configuration file.

Idea here is to modify the 'multipath' program to determine if a
particular device is handled by multipath or not. If so, _no other_
configuration must be done in that device.
The multipathd daemon itself already listens on events from the udev
socket; it should be pretty trivial to convert that to socket
activation.

And, of course, we need to solve the mount problem. Last I've heard
was that systemd _won't_ be handling mounting, which in effect means
we cannot mount any systems provided via multipath ...

What is the status here?

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke zSeries & Storage
hare@suse.de +49 911 74053 688

Old 08-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Alasdair G Kergon

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 03:47:42PM +0200, Christophe Varoqui wrote:
> On jeu., 2011-06-30 at 14:10 +0000, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" wrote:
> > Is anyone taking a look at porting the multipathd legacy sysv init
> > script to native systemd unit file?
> > I filed 690828 on 2011-03-25 and yet to receive somekind of response on
> > it and unless some action is taken then a) device-mapper-multipath will
> > be blocking the Fedora 16 alpha release or b) be ripped out of @base and
> > be made sure it does not get installed on the official livecd.
> What is the status of this request ? Has anyone stepped-in to the job ?
> If not I'll look into it. If you have Fedora-specific systemd
> implementation guideline, please point me to the appropriate
> documentation.

As you can see, that bugzilla got closed 19th July.

It was linked to another one 723357 which is also closed, but the comment #2
there suggests there is still a problem to be dealt with:

I'm not sure why udev synchronization is failing during startup, but it is.

Ben, is that still a problem to be investigated?

Alasdair

Old 08-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Kay Sievers

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 17:45, Hannes Reinecke <hare@suse.de> wrote:
> On 08/22/2011 03:47 PM, Christophe Varoqui wrote:
>> On jeu., 2011-06-30 at 14:10 +0000, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" wrote:
>>>
>>> Is anyone taking a look at porting the multipathd legacy sysv init
>>> script to native systemd unit file?
>>>
>>> I filed 690828 on 2011-03-25 and yet to receive somekind of response on
>>> it and unless some action is taken then a) device-mapper-multipath will
>>> be blocking the Fedora 16 alpha release or b) be ripped out of @base and
>>> be made sure it does not get installed on the official livecd.
>>>
>> What is the status of this request ? Has anyone stepped-in to the job ?
>> If not I'll look into it. If you have Fedora-specific systemd
>> implementation guideline, please point me to the appropriate
>> documentation.
>>
> I have talked with Kay & Lennart about this.
>
> The main problem here is that we don't / can't know if a device is
> multipathed or not; this is basically a policy decision.
> Even a simple switch (multipath on/off) wouldn't suffice here, as this
> particular device might be excluded via the configuration file.
>
> Idea here is to modify the 'multipath' program to determine if a particular
> device is handled by multipath or not. If so, _no other_ configuration must
> be done in that device.
> The multipathd daemon itself already listens on events from the udev socket;
> it should be pretty trivial to convert that to socket activation.
>
> And, of course, we need to solve the mount problem. Last I've heard was that
> systemd _won't_ be handling mounting, which in effect means we cannot mount
> any systems provided via multipath ...
>
> What is the status here?

It fully support mounts on boot, dynamically created, or on hotplug,
with or without automounter support.

But it will not assemble/handle/know anything about any dm/md devices.

Kay

Old 08-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Hannes Reinecke

On 08/22/2011 06:35 PM, Kay Sievers wrote:

[...]

Yeah, but this should taken care of if and when LVM2 and MD gets
converted to systemd, right ?

Cheers,

Hannes

Old 08-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Kay Sievers

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 17:06, Hannes Reinecke <hare@suse.de> wrote:
> On 08/22/2011 06:35 PM, Kay Sievers wrote:

>>> I have talked with Kay& *Lennart about this.
>>>
>>> The main problem here is that we don't / can't know if a device is
>>> multipathed or not; this is basically a policy decision.
>>> Even a simple switch (multipath on/off) wouldn't suffice here, as this
>>> particular device might be excluded via the configuration file.
>>>
>>> Idea here is to modify the 'multipath' program to determine if a
>>> particular
>>> device is handled by multipath or not. If so, _no other_ configuration
>>> must
>>> be done in that device.
>>> The multipathd daemon itself already listens on events from the udev
>>> socket;
>>> it should be pretty trivial to convert that to socket activation.
>>>
>>> And, of course, we need to solve the mount problem. Last I've heard was
>>> that
>>> systemd _won't_ be handling mounting, which in effect means we cannot
>>> mount
>>> any systems provided via multipath ...
>>>
>>> What is the status here?
>>
>> It fully support mounts on boot, dynamically created, or on hotplug,
>> with or without automounter support.
>>
>> But it will not assemble/handle/know anything about any dm/md devices.
>>
> Yeah, but this should taken care of if and when LVM2 and MD gets converted
> to systemd, right ?

Right. The tool to do that would probably be some raid-assembly daemon
that replaces the insanity in current shell scripts and called tools
that scan /dev. There is no plan currently to integrate any
raid-assembly into systemd natively.

Kay