Old 05-06-2011, 05:13 PM
MOHAMMED FIRDOSH NASIM

Default RHEL 6: Missing /dev/mpath directory

Hi,
Apologies, as I am not sure whether my query fits into this mailing list. If not, then please direct me to the correct mailing list.

I have configured RHEL 6 X86_64 host and have enabled multipath. As per the DM Multipath documentation at "http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/DM_Multipath/mpath_devices.html#multipath_device_id",*

"When new devices are brought under the control of DM-Multipath, the new devices may be seen in three different places under the /dev directory: /dev/mapper/mpathn, /dev/mpath/mpathn, and /dev/dm-n.
"

In my host I am seeing the devices only as /dev/dm-n and /dev/mapper/mpathx symlink to /dev/dm-n. I am not seeing directory /dev/mpath.
---------------------------- screen dump start ---------------------------

[root@sped10 ~]# cat /etc/issue
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.0 (Santiago)
Kernel
on an m

[root@sped10 ~]# uname -a
Linux sped10 2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Sep 1 01:33:01 EDT 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[root@sped10 ~]# ls -l /dev/mapper/ | grep mpath
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root***** 7 May* 6 22:34 mpatha -> ../dm-7
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root***** 7 May* 6 22:34 mpathb -> ../dm-8
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root***** 8 May* 6 22:34 mpathc -> ../dm-13

lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root***** 7 May* 6 22:34 mpathd -> ../dm-6
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root***** 7 May* 6 22:34 mpathe -> ../dm-4
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root***** 8 May* 6 22:34 mpathf -> ../dm-10
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root***** 7 May* 6 22:34 mpathg -> ../dm-5

lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root***** 8 May* 6 22:34 mpathh -> ../dm-12
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root***** 7 May* 6 22:34 mpathi -> ../dm-9
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root***** 8 May* 6 22:34 mpathj -> ../dm-11
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root***** 7 May* 6 22:34 mpathk -> ../dm-2

lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root***** 7 May* 6 22:34 mpathl -> ../dm-3
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root***** 8 May* 6 22:34 mpathlp1 -> ../dm-16
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root***** 8 May* 6 22:34 mpathm -> ../dm-15
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root***** 8 May* 6 22:34 mpathmp1 -> ../dm-20

lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root***** 8 May* 6 22:34 mpathmp2 -> ../dm-21
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root***** 8 May* 6 22:34 mpathmp3 -> ../dm-22
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root***** 8 May* 6 22:34 mpathn -> ../dm-14
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root***** 8 May* 6 22:34 mpathnp1 -> ../dm-17

lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root***** 8 May* 6 22:34 mpathnp2 -> ../dm-18
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root***** 8 May* 6 22:34 mpathnp3 -> ../dm-19
[root@sped10 ~]# ls /dev/mpath
ls: cannot access /dev/mpath: No such file or directory

[root@sped10 ~]#

Am I missing something in configuring multipath? Please assist in this regard.

Thanks and Regards,
Mohammed Firdosh Nasim.