-   -   RHEL 6 I/O error messages during booting (http://www.linux-archive.org/device-mapper-development/522478-rhel-6-i-o-error-messages-during-booting.html)

Christian May 05-05-2011 10:58 AM

RHEL 6 I/O error messages during booting

Hi,

I'm new to this community so maybe my
question is alreayd answered/solved. In that case please let me know how...

I have several IBM blades running RHEL6
and RHEL 6.1 attached via FC switch to different FastT storage servers
(prefered/non-prefered pathes).

During booting *I've noticed billions
of I/O error messages which extend the boot process. I found that the scsi_dh_rdac

driver is build into the initramfs,
so it should be available when the system is recognizing the SCSI LUNs.
When taking a look to the messages

I found this statement "kernel:
rdac: device handler registered" after the SCSI LUNs were recognized?!

Any ideas?

Regards,

Christian

*--
dm-devel mailing list
dm-devel@redhat.com

Mike Snitzer 05-05-2011 01:38 PM

RHEL 6 I/O error messages during booting

On Thu, May 05 2011 at 6:58am -0400,
Christian May <christian_may@de.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this community so maybe my question is alreayd answered/solved.
> In that case please let me know how...
>
> I have several IBM blades running RHEL6 and RHEL 6.1 attached via FC
> switch to different FastT storage servers (prefered/non-prefered pathes).
> During booting I've noticed billions of I/O error messages which extend
> the boot process. I found that the scsi_dh_rdac
> driver is build into the initramfs, so it should be available when the
> system is recognizing the SCSI LUNs. When taking a look to the messages
> I found this statement "kernel: rdac: device handler registered" after the
> SCSI LUNs were recognized?!
>
> Any ideas?

The scsi_dh_rdac module is loaded after the FC driver. This is a known
issue (happens for scsi_dh_emc too).

Mike

Chandra Seetharaman 05-10-2011 06:31 PM

RHEL 6 I/O error messages during booting

Create a new initramds by using the --preload option to mkinitrd.

Exact syntax can be found in section 5.1 of
http://sourceware.org/lvm2/wiki/MultipathUsageGuide

chandra

Malahal Naineni 05-10-2011 07:40 PM

Chandra Seetharaman [sekharan@us.ibm.com] wrote:
> Create a new initramds by using the --preload option to mkinitrd.
>
> Exact syntax can be found in section 5.1 of
> http://sourceware.org/lvm2/wiki/MultipathUsageGuide

I don't that works in RHEL6. It seems to be a known issue in RHEL6.

Thanks, Malahal.

Mike Snitzer 05-10-2011 09:57 PM

RHEL 6 I/O error messages during booting

On Tue, May 10 2011 at 3:40pm -0400,
Malahal Naineni <malahal@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Chandra Seetharaman [sekharan@us.ibm.com] wrote:
> > Create a new initramds by using the --preload option to mkinitrd.
> >
> > Exact syntax can be found in section 5.1 of
> > http://sourceware.org/lvm2/wiki/MultipathUsageGuide
>
> I don't that works in RHEL6. It seems to be a known issue in RHEL6.

A valid workaround should be to pass rdloaddriver=<drivername> on the kernel
commandline, e.g.: rdloaddriver=scsi_dh_emc

Daniel Lang 10-28-2011 08:45 PM

RHEL 6 I/O error messages during booting

Hello,
We are having an issue that appears to be related to fact that the
scsi_dh_rdac module is loaded after the qla FC driver and SAN paths
coming up before rdac can handle them. How can we change the order of
kernel modules so that the scsi_dh_rdac module is loaded before the FC
driver?

We are getting long boot times and random crashes due to this issue

Thanks!
Dan

Mike Snitzer 10-29-2011 12:46 AM

RHEL 6 I/O error messages during booting

On Fri, Oct 28 2011 at 5:13pm -0400,
Daniel Lang <langd@lanl.gov> wrote:

> We are having an issue that appears to be related to fact that the
> scsi_dh_rdac module is loaded after the qla FC driver and SAN paths
> coming up before rdac can handle them. How can we change the order
> of kernel modules so that the scsi_dh_rdac module is loaded before
> the FC driver?

Add 'rdloaddriver=scsi_dh_rdac' to the kernel commandline to have the
initramfs preload the module (scsi_dh_rdac.ko should already be in the
initramfs).