Old 04-19-2011, 01:56 PM
"Sandra Escandor"

Default RAID status, CSMI, and dmRAID

Hello,

*

I’ve recently been researching the issue of obtaining
RAID status on Linux (using a library or API, not through scripts). I’ve
read that CSMI codes can be issued (using ioctl() calls) to get RAID status,
and from my understanding (please correct me if I’m wrong), dmraid doesn’t
use CSMI at all, and the status is obtained using the metadata on the member
drives. Does this mean that using CSMI and ioctl is not possible on Linux, or
does this mean that using CSMI and ioctl is a bad idea on Linux?

*

Thanks for the clarification,

Sandra **

Old 04-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Juerg Haefliger

Hi Sandra,

> I’ve recently been researching the issue of obtaining RAID status on Linux
> (using a library or API, not through scripts). I’ve read that CSMI codes can
> be issued (using ioctl() calls) to get RAID status, and from my
> understanding (please correct me if I’m wrong), dmraid doesn’t use CSMI at
> all, and the status is obtained using the metadata on the member drives.
> Does this mean that using CSMI and ioctl is not possible on Linux, or does
> this mean that using CSMI and ioctl is a bad idea on Linux?

CSMI is an interface introduced by Compaq which never gained traction
nor was accepted as an industry standard. It's only supported by the
low-level drivers that manage controllers sold by Compaq/HP. That is
mptlinux, mpt2sas and probably the cciss driver as well which btw has
been replaced by hpsa by now. Stay away from CSMI. It's proprietary
and obsolete.

...Juerg