Old 03-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Ric Wheeler

Default Preliminary Agenda and Activities for LSF

On 03/29/2011 12:36 AM, James Bottomley wrote:

Hi All,

Since LSF is less than a week away, the programme committee put together
a just in time preliminary agenda for LSF. As you can see there is
still plenty of empty space, which you can make suggestions (to this
list with appropriate general list cc's) for filling:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AiQMl7GcVa7OdFdNQzM5UDRXUnVEb HlYVmZUVHQ2amc&output=html

If you don't make suggestions, the programme committee will feel
empowered to make arbitrary assignments based on your topic and attendee
email requests ...

We're still not quite sure what rooms we will have at the Kabuki, but
we'll add them to the spreadsheet when we know (they should be close to
each other).

The spreadsheet above also gives contact information for all the
attendees and the programme committee.

Yours,

James Bottomley
on behalf of LSF/MM Programme Committee

Here are a few topic ideas:

(1) The first topic that might span IO & FS tracks (or just pull in device
mapper people to an FS track) could be adding new commands that would allow
users to grow/shrink/etc file systems in a generic way. The thought I had was
that we have a reasonable model that we could reuse for these new commands like
mount and mount.fs or fsck and fsck.fs. With btrfs coming down the road, it
could be nice to identify exactly what common operations users want to do and
agree on how to implement them. Alasdair pointed out in the upstream thread that
we had a prototype here in fsadm.

(2) Very high speed, low latency SSD devices and testing. Have we settled on the
need for these devices to all have block level drivers? For S-ATA or SAS
devices, are there known performance issues that require enhancements in
somewhere in the stack?

(3) The union mount versus overlayfs debate - pros and cons. What each do well,
what needs doing. Do we want/need both upstream? (Maybe this can get 10 minutes
in Al's VFS session?)

Thanks!

Ric

Old 03-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Matthew Wilcox

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 07:16:32AM -0400, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> (2) Very high speed, low latency SSD devices and testing. Have we settled
> on the need for these devices to all have block level drivers? For S-ATA
> or SAS devices, are there known performance issues that require
> enhancements in somewhere in the stack?

I can throw together a quick presentation on this topic.

--
Matthew Wilcox Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."

Old 03-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Jens Axboe

On 2011-03-29 13:22, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 07:16:32AM -0400, Ric Wheeler wrote:
>> (2) Very high speed, low latency SSD devices and testing. Have we settled
>> on the need for these devices to all have block level drivers? For S-ATA
>> or SAS devices, are there known performance issues that require
>> enhancements in somewhere in the stack?
>
> I can throw together a quick presentation on this topic.

I'll join that too.

--
Jens Axboe

Old 03-29-2011, 01:09 PM
"Martin K. Petersen"

>> I can throw together a quick presentation on this topic.

Jens> I'll join that too.

Stack tuning aside, maybe Matthew can speak a bit about NVMe and I'll
cover what's going on with the SCSI over PCIe efforts...

--
Martin K. Petersen Oracle Linux Engineering

Old 03-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Ric Wheeler

Stack tuning aside, maybe Matthew can speak a bit about NVMe and I'll
cover what's going on with the SCSI over PCIe efforts...

That sounds interesting to me...

Ric

Old 03-29-2011, 01:38 PM
James Bottomley

On Tue, 2011-03-29 at 09:09 -0400, Martin K. Petersen wrote:

> >> I can throw together a quick presentation on this topic.
>
> Jens> I'll join that too.
>
> Stack tuning aside, maybe Matthew can speak a bit about NVMe and I'll
> cover what's going on with the SCSI over PCIe efforts...

OK, I put you down for a joint sessions with FS and IO after the tea
break on Tuesday.

James

Old 03-29-2011, 05:20 PM

A few others that I think may span across I/O, Block fs..layers.

1) Dm-thinp target vs File system thin profile vs block map based thin/trim profile. Facilitate I/O throttling for thin/trimmable storage. Online and Offline profil.
2) Interfaces for SCSI, Ethernet/*transport configuration parameters floating around in sysfs, procfs. Architecting guidelines for accepting patches for hybrid devices.
3) DM snapshot vs FS snapshots vs H/W snapshots. There is room for all and they have to help each other
4) B/W control - VM->DM->Block->Ethernet->Switch->Storage. Pick your subsystem and there are many non-cooperating B/W control constructs in each subsystem.

-Shyam

Old 03-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Vivek Goyal

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 10:20:57AM -0700, Shyam_Iyer@dell.com wrote:

> [...]

Is above any different from block IO throttling we have got for block
devices?

> 2) Interfaces for SCSI, Ethernet/*transport configuration parameters floating around in sysfs, procfs. Architecting guidelines for accepting patches for hybrid devices.
> 3) DM snapshot vs FS snapshots vs H/W snapshots. There is room for all and they have to help each other
> 4) B/W control - VM->DM->Block->Ethernet->Switch->Storage. Pick your subsystem and there are many non-cooperating B/W control constructs in each subsystem.

Above is pretty generic. Do you have specific needs/ideas/concerns?

Thanks
Vivek

Old 03-29-2011, 06:10 PM

Yes.. so the throttling would be capacity based.. when the storage array wants us to throttle the I/O. Depending on the event we may keep getting space allocation write protect check conditions for writes until a user intervenes to stop I/O.

> > 2) Interfaces for SCSI, Ethernet/*transport configuration parameters
> floating around in sysfs, procfs. Architecting guidelines for accepting
> patches for hybrid devices.
> > 3) DM snapshot vs FS snapshots vs H/W snapshots. There is room for
> all and they have to help each other

For instance if you took a DM snapshot and the storage sent a check condition to the original dm device I am not sure if the DM snapshot would get one too..

If you had a scenario of taking H/W snapshot of an entire pool and decide to delete the individual DM snapshots the H/W snapshot would be inconsistent.

The blocks being managed by a DM-device would have moved (SCSI referrals). I believe Hannes is working on the referrals piece..

> > 4) B/W control - VM->DM->Block->Ethernet->Switch->Storage. Pick your
> subsystem and there are many non-cooperating B/W control constructs in
> each subsystem.
>
> Above is pretty generic. Do you have specific needs/ideas/concerns?
>
> Thanks
> Vivek
Yes.. if I limited by Ethernet b/w to 40% I don't need to limit I/O b/w via cgroups. Such bandwidth manipulations are network switch driven and cgroups never take care of these events from the Ethernet driver.

The TC classes route the network I/O to multiqueue groups and so theoretically you could have block queues 1:1 with the number of network multiqueues..

-Shyam

Old 03-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Vivek Goyal

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 11:10:18AM -0700, Shyam_Iyer@Dell.com wrote:

> [...]

Sounds like some user space daemon listening for these events and then
modifying cgroup throttling limits dynamically?

> > > 2) Interfaces for SCSI, Ethernet/*transport configuration parameters
> > floating around in sysfs, procfs. Architecting guidelines for accepting
> > patches for hybrid devices.
> > > 3) DM snapshot vs FS snapshots vs H/W snapshots. There is room for
> > all and they have to help each other
>
> For instance if you took a DM snapshot and the storage sent a check condition to the original dm device I am not sure if the DM snapshot would get one too..
>
> If you had a scenario of taking H/W snapshot of an entire pool and decide to delete the individual DM snapshots the H/W snapshot would be inconsistent.
>
> The blocks being managed by a DM-device would have moved (SCSI referrals). I believe Hannes is working on the referrals piece..
>
> > > 4) B/W control - VM->DM->Block->Ethernet->Switch->Storage. Pick your
> > subsystem and there are many non-cooperating B/W control constructs in
> > each subsystem.
> >
> > Above is pretty generic. Do you have specific needs/ideas/concerns?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Vivek
> Yes.. if I limited by Ethernet b/w to 40% I don't need to limit I/O b/w via cgroups. Such bandwidth manipulations are network switch driven and cgroups never take care of these events from the Ethernet driver.

So if IO is going over network and actual bandwidth control is taking
place by throttling ethernet traffic then one does not have to specify
block cgroup throttling policy and hence no need for cgroups to be worried
about ethernet driver events?

I think I am missing something here.

Vivek