Old 09-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Sethuraman Subbiah

Default Help ! : device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument

Hi ,

This is Sethuraman Subbiah , a student at NCState. I installed DM-IOBAND. I needed that for a project.

I downloaded a kernel module binary and used insmod to insert the module. It worked and i did modprobe.

When I gave dmsetup targets | grep ioband

I got ioband v1.14.0

It was fine till that step.

When I try to associate /dev/sda3 with ioband1 :

echo "0 $(blockdev --getsize /dev/sda3) ioband /dev/sda3 1 0 0 none weight 0 :40" | dmsetup create ioband1

I keep getting this error :

device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument

Command failed

Can someone help me out ? Thanks !

-
Regards,
Sethuraman Subbiah

Graduate Student - NC state University
M.S in Computer Science

Old 09-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Mike Snitzer

On Thu, Sep 16 2010 at 7:08pm -0400,
Sethuraman Subbiah <ssubbia2@ncsu.edu> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> This is Sethuraman Subbiah , a student at NCState. I installed DM-IOBAND. I
> needed that for a project.
>
> I downloaded a kernel module binary and used insmod to insert the module. It
> worked and i did modprobe.
>
> When I gave dmsetup targets | grep ioband
> I got ioband v1.14.0
>
> It was fine till that step.
>
> When I try to associate /dev/sda3 with ioband1 :
>
> echo "0 $(blockdev --getsize /dev/sda3) ioband /dev/sda3 1 0 0 none weight 0
> :40" | dmsetup create ioband1
>
> I keep getting this error :
> device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument
> Command failed
>

> Can someone help me out ? Thanks !

dm-ioband isn't upstream. Best to ping original authors from valinux if
you're still interested in it.

If you have a need for bandwidth control Vivek Goyal has developed
throttling support in the block layer. Vivek's work has been merged for
upstream inclusion in Linux 2.6.37.

See the following for documentation on throttling support:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/axboe/linux-2.6-block.git;a=commit;h=2786c4e5e54802c3

If you'd like to try it, it is available with the following:

git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/axboe/linux-2.6-block.git
cd linux-2.6-block
git checkout -b my_for-next origin/for-next

Mike