Old 09-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Jens Axboe

Default block, fs: replace HARDBARRIER with FLUSH/FUA, take#2

On 09/03/2010 12:29 PM, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This patchset is combination of the following two patchsets.
>
> [1] block, fs: replace HARDBARRIER with FLUSH/FUA
> [2] block, dm: finish REQ_FLUSH/FUA conversion, take#2
>
> Changes from the previous postings are
>
> * Rebased on top of v2.6.36-rc3.
>
> * 0010-block-implement-REQ_FLUSH-FUA-based-interface-for-FL.patch
> description updated to include why special -EOPNOTSUPP handling is
> no longer necessary as suggested by Mike Snitzer.
>
> * 0025-dm-relax-ordering-of-bio-based-flush-implementation.patch
> description updated to include why flush_error and special error
> handling logic are no longer necessary as suggested by Mike
> Snitzer.
>
> * 0013-block-initialize-flush-request-with-WRITE_FLUSH-inst.patch and
> 0014-block-kick-queue-after-sequencing-REQ_FLUSH-FUA.patch added.
> These fixes aren't strictly required by the current users but remove
> fishy corner cases.
>
> * 0015-block-make-sure-FSEQ_DATA-request-has-the-same-rq_di.patch
> added. This is needed to make requested based dm work.
>
> * 0026-dm-fix-locking-context-in-queue_io.patch added. This fixes
> locking context problem introduced by
> 0025-dm-relax-ordering-of-bio-based-flush-implementation.patch.
>
> * Tested/Reviewed-by's added and patches reordered such that block
> layer conversion comes first followed by block driver conversions,
> filesystem conversions and then finally removal of deprecate stuff.
>
> I think the patchset is mostly ready now although I would love to have
> acked/reviewd-by's on bio-based dm conversion patches. Jens,
> Christoph, how do you guys wanna steer these patches? I think it
> would be best to go through the block tree but splitting parts and
> doing cross tree pull/merges should be doable too.

Since the core changes are block churn, it would probably be
sanest to pull everything in there. Core into for-2.6.37/core,
then have for-2.6.37/fs and 2.6.37/drivers on top of that.

--
Jens Axboe

Old 09-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Tejun Heo

Hello, Jens.

I added Mike's cleanup patch and Kiyoshi's Tested-by and updated
flush-fua branch accordingly.

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tj/misc.git flush-fua

I guess it's about ready. Please consider pulling it into the block
tree so that it can get linux-next exposure. If you want the whole
patch series resent, please let me know.

Thanks.

--
tejun

Old 09-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Jens Axboe

On 2010-09-08 18:12, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Hello, Jens.
>
> I added Mike's cleanup patch and Kiyoshi's Tested-by and updated
> flush-fua branch accordingly.
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tj/misc.git flush-fua
>
> I guess it's about ready. Please consider pulling it into the block
> tree so that it can get linux-next exposure. If you want the whole
> patch series resent, please let me know.

Thanks Tejun, I'm pulling it in now.

--
Jens Axboe