Old 09-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Tejun Heo

Default dm: implement REQ_FLUSH/FUA support for request-based dm

Hello,

On 09/02/2010 05:22 AM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
>> But we can meet in the middle. I've reordered the DM FLUSH+FUA patches
>> so that the more intrusive bio-based relaxed ordering patch is at the
>> very end.
>>
>> My hope was that the request-based deadlock I'm seeing would disappear
>> if that relaxed ordering patch wasn't applied. Unfortunately, I still
>> see the hang.

I don't think it would make any difference. AFAICS, the patch doesn't
touch anything requested based dm uses.

> Turns out I can reproduce the hang on a stock 2.6.36-rc3 (without _any_
> FLUSH+FUA patches)!

Hmmm... that's interesting.

> I'll try to pin-point the root cause but I think my test is somehow
> exposing a bug in my virt setup.
>
> So this hang is definitely starting to look like a red herring.
>
> Tejun,
>
> This news should clear the way for you to re-post your patches. I think
> it would be best if you reordered the DM patches like I did here in this
> series: http://people.redhat.com/msnitzer/patches/flush-fua/series
>
> In particular, the dm-relax-ordering-of-bio-based-flush-implementation
> patch should go at the end. I think it makes for a more logical
> evolution of the DM code.

Sure, I'll. I still think having the queue kicking mechanism is a
good idea tho. I'll integrate that into series, reorder and repost
it.

Thanks.

--
tejun

Old 09-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Mike Snitzer

On Thu, Sep 02 2010 at 6:24am -0400,
Tejun Heo <tj@kernel.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 09/02/2010 05:22 AM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> >> But we can meet in the middle. I've reordered the DM FLUSH+FUA patches
> >> so that the more intrusive bio-based relaxed ordering patch is at the
> >> very end.
> >>
> >> My hope was that the request-based deadlock I'm seeing would disappear
> >> if that relaxed ordering patch wasn't applied. Unfortunately, I still
> >> see the hang.
>
> I don't think it would make any difference. AFAICS, the patch doesn't
> touch anything requested based dm uses.

Right, I was stacking bio-based on request-based so it initially seemed
like they were related (based on traces I had seen).

> > Turns out I can reproduce the hang on a stock 2.6.36-rc3 (without _any_
> > FLUSH+FUA patches)!
>
> Hmmm... that's interesting.

Definitely, and I just tested a recent RHEL6 kernel.. it works perfectly
fine.

So now I'll be doing a git bisect to try to pinpoint where upstream went
wrong.

> > I'll try to pin-point the root cause but I think my test is somehow
> > exposing a bug in my virt setup.
> >
> > So this hang is definitely starting to look like a red herring.
> >
> > Tejun,
> >
> > This news should clear the way for you to re-post your patches. I think
> > it would be best if you reordered the DM patches like I did here in this
> > series: http://people.redhat.com/msnitzer/patches/flush-fua/series
> >
> > In particular, the dm-relax-ordering-of-bio-based-flush-implementation
> > patch should go at the end. I think it makes for a more logical
> > evolution of the DM code.
>
> Sure, I'll. I still think having the queue kicking mechanism is a
> good idea tho. I'll integrate that into series, reorder and repost
> it.

Sounds good.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 09-08-2010, 01:46 AM
Kiyoshi Ueda

Hi Tejun,

On 09/03/2010 07:29 PM +0900, Tejun Heo wrote:
> This patch converts request-based dm to support the new REQ_FLUSH/FUA.

I reviewed this patch and found no obvious problem.
Also, I tested this patch series using request-based dm-multipath +
ext3/ext4 and found no problem.

Tested-by: Kiyoshi Ueda <k-ueda@ct.jp.nec.com>

Thanks,
Kiyoshi Ueda