Old 11-19-2010, 02:11 AM
Malahal Naineni

Default training mpath to discern between SCSI errors

Hannes Reinecke [hare@suse.de] wrote:
> > Also (although this might be a bit off topic from your patch),
> > can we expand such a distinction to what should be logged?
> > Currently, it's difficult to distinguish important SCSI/block errors
> > and less important ones in kernel log.
> > For example, when I get a link failure on sda, kernel prints something
> > like below, regardless of whether the I/O is recovered by multipathing or not:
> > end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector XXXXX
> >
> Indeed, when using the above we could be modifying the above
> message, eg by
>
> end_request: transport error, dev sda, sector XXXXX
>
> or
>
> end_request: target error, dev sda, sector XXXXX
>
> which would improve the output noticeable.
>
> > Setting REQ_QUIET in dm-multipath could mask the message
> > but also other important ones in SCSI.
> >
> Hmm. Not sure about that, but I think the above modifications will
> be useful already.
>
> I'll be sending an updated patch.

Hannes, is there an updated version of this patch? It applied fine with
Linus git tree with a minor reject! I would like to test an updated
version if you have one (the update seems to refer to better logging
only, right?).

Thanks, Malahal.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Mike Snitzer

On Thu, Nov 18 2010 at 10:11pm -0500,
Malahal Naineni <malahal@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hannes Reinecke [hare@suse.de] wrote:
> > > Also (although this might be a bit off topic from your patch),
> > > can we expand such a distinction to what should be logged?
> > > Currently, it's difficult to distinguish important SCSI/block errors
> > > and less important ones in kernel log.
> > > For example, when I get a link failure on sda, kernel prints something
> > > like below, regardless of whether the I/O is recovered by multipathing or not:
> > > end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector XXXXX
> > >
> > Indeed, when using the above we could be modifying the above
> > message, eg by
> >
> > end_request: transport error, dev sda, sector XXXXX
> >
> > or
> >
> > end_request: target error, dev sda, sector XXXXX
> >
> > which would improve the output noticeable.
> >
> > > Setting REQ_QUIET in dm-multipath could mask the message
> > > but also other important ones in SCSI.
> > >
> > Hmm. Not sure about that, but I think the above modifications will
> > be useful already.
> >
> > I'll be sending an updated patch.
>
> Hannes, is there an updated version of this patch? It applied fine with
> Linus git tree with a minor reject! I would like to test an updated
> version if you have one (the update seems to refer to better logging
> only, right?).

Hannes,

Any chance you've had time to fold your proposed logging changes in and
rebase this patch? Could you post that updated patch?

I'd like to help see this patch through to inclussion when 2.6.38 merge
window opens. I can help with further review, testing and development.

Please advise, thanks.
Mike

Old 12-17-2010, 08:47 AM
Hannes Reinecke

On 11/30/2010 11:59 PM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18 2010 at 10:11pm -0500,
> Malahal Naineni <malahal@us.ibm.com> wrote:

>>> Indeed, when using the above we could be modifying the above
>>> message, eg by
>>>
>>> end_request: transport error, dev sda, sector XXXXX
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> end_request: target error, dev sda, sector XXXXX
>>>
>>> which would improve the output noticeable.

>>> Hmm. Not sure about that, but I think the above modifications will
>>> be useful already.
>>>
>>> I'll be sending an updated patch.
>>
>> Hannes, is there an updated version of this patch? It applied fine with
>> Linus git tree with a minor reject! I would like to test an updated
>> version if you have one (the update seems to refer to better logging
>> only, right?).
>
> Hannes,
>
> Any chance you've had time to fold your proposed logging changes in and
> rebase this patch? Could you post that updated patch?

yes, will be following shortly.

> I'd like to help see this patch through to inclussion when 2.6.38 merge
> window opens. I can help with further review, testing and development.

Ok, thanks.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke zSeries & Storage
hare@suse.de +49 911 74053 688

Old 12-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Mike Snitzer

On Fri, Dec 17 2010 at 4:47am -0500,
Hannes Reinecke <hare@suse.de> wrote:

> On 11/30/2010 11:59 PM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> > Hannes,
> >
> > Any chance you've had time to fold your proposed logging changes in and
> > rebase this patch? Could you post that updated patch?
> >
> yes, will be following shortly.
>
> > I'd like to help see this patch through to inclussion when 2.6.38 merge
> > window opens. I can help with further review, testing and development.
> >
> Ok, thanks.

I took some steps at furthering your work. Here is the cover letter to
the patches I resently sent to dm-devel:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/dm-devel/2010-December/msg00090.html

And here are the patches:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/384612/
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/384602/
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/390882/

Please feel free to change these how ever you see fit but your feedback
is really appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Mike Snitzer

On Fri, Dec 17 2010 at 9:06am -0500,
Mike Snitzer <snitzer@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 17 2010 at 4:47am -0500,
> Hannes Reinecke <hare@suse.de> wrote:
>
> > On 11/30/2010 11:59 PM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> > > Hannes,
> > >
> > > Any chance you've had time to fold your proposed logging changes in and
> > > rebase this patch? Could you post that updated patch?
> > >
> > yes, will be following shortly.
> >
> > > I'd like to help see this patch through to inclussion when 2.6.38 merge
> > > window opens. I can help with further review, testing and development.
> > >
> > Ok, thanks.
>
> I took some steps at furthering your work. Here is the cover letter to
> the patches I resently sent to dm-devel:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/dm-devel/2010-December/msg00090.html
>
> And here are the patches:
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/384612/
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/384602/
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/390882/
>
> Please feel free to change these how ever you see fit but your feedback
> is really appreciated.

Hannes,

Any update? I'd really like to see this work get upstream ASAP. I'm
doubtful that is possible for 2.6.38 given the merge window is likely to
close shortly.

Regardless, if we could get consensus on this work now and then stage it
with James that would be great.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-14-2011, 06:45 AM
Hannes Reinecke

On 01/14/2011 02:09 AM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 17 2010 at 9:06am -0500,
> Mike Snitzer <snitzer@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 17 2010 at 4:47am -0500,
>> Hannes Reinecke <hare@suse.de> wrote:

>>> yes, will be following shortly.

>>> Ok, thanks.
>>
>> I took some steps at furthering your work. Here is the cover letter to
>> the patches I resently sent to dm-devel:
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/dm-devel/2010-December/msg00090.html
>>
>> And here are the patches:
>> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/384612/
>> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/384602/
>> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/390882/
>>
>> Please feel free to change these how ever you see fit but your feedback
>> is really appreciated.
>
> Hannes,
>
> Any update? I'd really like to see this work get upstream ASAP. I'm
> doubtful that is possible for 2.6.38 given the merge window is likely to
> close shortly.

Sorry for the late answer; the above patches somehow got lost in my
various mail folders :-(

But yes, the patchset looks okay.
Feel free to add my Acked-by: to last two.

> Regardless, if we could get consensus on this work now and then stage it
> with James that would be great.

Indeed. Will you resend it to linux-scsi or shall I do it?

Cheers,

Hannes

Old 01-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Mike Snitzer

On Fri, Jan 14 2011 at 2:45am -0500,
Hannes Reinecke <hare@suse.de> wrote:

> On 01/14/2011 02:09 AM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 17 2010 at 9:06am -0500,
> > Mike Snitzer <snitzer@redhat.com> wrote:

> >> I took some steps at furthering your work. Here is the cover letter to
> >> the patches I resently sent to dm-devel:
> >> https://www.redhat.com/archives/dm-devel/2010-December/msg00090.html
> >>
> >> And here are the patches:
> >> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/384612/
> >> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/384602/
> >> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/390882/
> >>
> >> Please feel free to change these how ever you see fit but your feedback
> >> is really appreciated.
> >
> > Hannes,
> >
> > Any update? I'd really like to see this work get upstream ASAP. I'm
> > doubtful that is possible for 2.6.38 given the merge window is likely to
> > close shortly.
> >
> Sorry for the late answer; the above patches somehow got lost in my
> various mail folders :-(
>
> But yes, the patchset looks okay.
> Feel free to add my Acked-by: to last two.

OK.

> > Regardless, if we could get consensus on this work now and then stage it
> > with James that would be great.
> >
> Indeed. Will you resend it to linux-scsi or shall I do it?

I can resend, will do so shortly.

Thanks!
Mike