Old 08-12-2011, 06:32 AM
Emmanuel Natalis

Default Need Help

One might have different hardware, or bios... the only way to tell is to

do an '$ sudo lshw' and compare. And that's probably a good idea since

he can get to the terminal from Recovery mode. Also, keep in mind what

initramfs is; a temporary file system that is loaded into memory...

could also be that the problem system has a hardware memory issue.

*Hi NoOp,
*I also guess the isssue of memory, there is a message am seeing on the machine itself, am about to get back into server room, and I will tell what is that message.

But so frustrating. The machine is having 3 hard disks. Goh advised me to change the hard disk. I inserted on disk at a time, leave the two, and re-installing. The first failed, giving the same message. The second one worked. I inserted back the other two disks, formatting them and booting the machine. The same error message again appeared.

*--
Emmanuel Natalis
Open Source Software Developer
University of Dar es salaam Computing Center
(+255) 712 26 34 93
(+255) 755 22 44 93

Old 08-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Liam Proven

On 12 August 2011 03:23, Goh Lip <g.lip@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 08/12/2011 03:23 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> I had this problem (or something much like it) with Server 10.04 and
>> 10.10 on my PowerEdge 600SC.
>
> Yes Liam, I was wondering too about that too but the solution you and NoOp
> suggested doesn't ...."jive" (match, correlate, agree, correspond, sync,
> square,...) with the fact that Emmanuel had 2 exactly similar computers, one
> working, one not.

Ah, yes, good point. Sorry, I missed that.

Different firmware versions? Different disk controllers or disk configuration?

>> Considerable Googling led me to believe it's a common issue. In the
>> end, I had to install 8.04 (which was fine and unaffected) and then
>> upgrade it to 10.04. This worked fine, but took a long time.
>
> Now, this I almost suggested that Emmanuel reinstall grub - grub-install
> /dev/sda - as it could be, but quite unlikely, a faulty installation of
> grub. Liam, could could check on your PowerEdge 600SC installation which
> version of grub you're using (grub-install -v)? Thanks.

I would if I could, but the machine booted off a mirror on a SCSI card
and I think the SCSI card has now died, unfortunately.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Goh Lip