Old 09-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Mwango Mutale

Default Need Help

Dear Sir,

I have been struggling to get bold letters in informix for CentoS 4.8 and I came across your article on PCL
Command Sequences and I felt you could help.

I have the following declarations and print command in my informix-4gl but things don't seem to get right.

******** BoldOn************** CHAR(6),
******** BoldOff************* CHAR(6)

***** ----LET BoldOn = ASCII
27, ASCII '&040', ASCII '&115', ASCII '&052', ASCII
'&066'
***** ----LET BoldOff = ASCII 27, ASCII
'&040', ASCII '&115', ASCII '&048', ASCII '&066'

***** LET BoldOn = ASCII 27,"(s4B"
***** LET BoldOff = ASCII 27,"(s0B"

***** PRINT COLUMN 1, BoldOn CLIPPED, " ", "TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN", BoldOff,
*********** COLUMN 54, BoldOn CLIPPED, " ", "Ref: ", BoldOff CLIPPED, r_refno

*** PRINT COLUMN 1, BoldOn CLIPPED, " ", "This is to certify that: ", BoldOff, r_surname, " ", r_firstname

and this what I am getting:

*** ^[(s4B TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN^[(s0B******************* ^[(s4B Ref: ^[(s0B*** 9844510
*** ^[(s4B This is to certify that: ^[(s0B NAMONJE********
CAROL
*** ^[(s4B is a registered student of the National Institute of Public Administration^[(s0B

We have HP LaserJet P3005 and P3015 Printers.

How can I avoid printing these charaters and instead print Bold letters ? Are there any settings I need to do in Environmental variables or CUPS settings ?

Your help will highly be appreciated.

Felix Mwango Mutale

Old 09-21-2010, 02:03 PM

Mwango Mutale wrote:
> Dear Sir,

Um, there's men and women on this list...

> I have been struggling to get bold letters in informix for CentoS 4.8 and
> I came across your article on PCL Command Sequences and I felt you could
help.
<snip>

Don't know what article you're talking about, but I would suggest that an
Informix mailing list, or perhaps even talking to Informix tech support
would be a better place to look for help for that.

mark

Old 08-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Emmanuel Natalis

Dear all,
I was installing ubuntu 11.04 server on a dell machine. The
installation went ok, but on booting, the grub loads i.e i can see the
options of loading the OS normally or in recovery mode. There after I
only see a black screen and it just stays that way without seeing any
further progress. Iam stuck.

Any assistance will highly appreciated

--
Emmanuel Natalis
Open Source Software Developer

Old 08-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Goh Lip

On 08/10/2011 04:31 PM, Emmanuel Natalis wrote:

I was installing ubuntu 11.04 server on a dell machine. The installation
went ok, but on booting, the grub loads i.e i can see the options of
black screen and it just stays that way without seeing any further
progress. Iam stuck.

You're using a server version, so you have not installed any desktop -
gnome, kde, etc, right?

And you are not getting any prompt like
emmanuael> or login> ? (is your monitor set too dark?)

Then at the linux line of grub menu, add "gfxmode=640x480" (without
apostrophes) and try to boot up.

Regards - Goh Lip

Old 08-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Emmanuel Natalis

You're using a server version, so you have not installed any desktop - gnome, kde, etc, right?

And you are not getting any prompt like

emmanuael> * or login> * *? *(is your monitor set too dark?)

Then at the linux line of grub menu, add "gfxmode=640x480" (without apostrophes) and try to boot up.

Regards - Goh Lip

Thanks Goh

Yes am using server version so no* desktop installed. When booting the machine, it was reaching in the stage where you can select normal booting or recovery mode. I was able to login using the recovery mode but after skipping some of the stages. When you leave it to boot in the normal way, it becomes black and it just stays that way. I have tried to uncomment the line which starts with GRUB_GFXMODE in /etc/default/grub (When am in recovery mode) and run the command update-grub. I tried to boot again but this time I cannot even see the boot grub options i.e normal boot, recovery mod - It just becomes black.* Should this line gfxmode="640x480" be added in the grub file i.e /etc/default/grub? But I dont know how can I go to the recovery mode again as i dont see again the boot options.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Emmanuel Natalis

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Emmanuel Natalis <matnatalis@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

*Another thing which I have accidentally noticed, when I boot my machine without plugging a monitor, am able to see the boot options. Hitting enter on the first option - normal booting a screen is displayed as per attached.*

Old 08-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Emmanuel Natalis

[...]

enter on the first option - normal booting, a screen ending with words initramfs appears.* *

Old 08-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Goh Lip

On 08/10/2011 07:16 PM, Emmanuel Natalis wrote:

> Yes am using server version so no desktop installed. When booting the
> machine, it was reaching in the stage where you can select normal
> booting or recovery mode. I was able to login using the recovery mode
> but after skipping some of the stages. When you leave it to boot in the
> normal way, it becomes black and it just stays that way. I have tried to
> uncomment the line which starts with GRUB_GFXMODE in /etc/default/grub
> (When am in recovery mode) and run the command update-grub. I tried to
> boot again but this time I cannot even see the boot grub options i.e
> normal boot, recovery mod - It just becomes black. Should this line
> gfxmode="640x480" be added in the grub file i.e /etc/default/grub? But I
> dont know how can I go to the recovery mode again as i dont see again
> the boot options.

If you do this way, you need to "update-grub" to keep this option
'alive', otherwise it is not applied. You can manually edit at the grub
menu to temporarily effect this.

On 08/10/2011 07:33 PM, Emmanuel Natalis wrote:

> Another thing which I have accidentally noticed, when I boot my machine
> without plugging a monitor, am able to see the boot options. Hitting
> enter on the first option - normal booting, a screen ending with words
> /*initramfs*/ appears.

Okay, your first monitor is not 'booting up'. The method above (gfxmode)
will probably show up the "/*initramfs*/" too. So you do have a more
serious problem on top of your first monitor as well. It is not finding
your initrd.img or your initrd.img is not at the first sector of the
partition.

It's not good and you may need to reinstall, but you can try this first
at the recovery mode...

sudo update-initramfs -u

Good luck _ Goh Lip

Old 08-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Emmanuel Natalis

Okay, your first monitor is not 'booting up'. The method above (gfxmode) will probably show up the "/*initramfs*/" too. So you do have a more serious problem on top of your first monitor as well. It is not finding your initrd.img or your initrd.img is not at the first sector of the partition.

It's not good and you may need to reinstall, but you can try this first at the recovery mode...

sudo update-initramfs -u

Good luck _ Goh Lip

* Thanks so Much Goh for your help. I have tried to run the command update-initramfs -u but nothing has changed. Let me do the re-installation, it wont cost me as I haven't put Much staff in it. My Machine is Dell powerEdge T310. May be I might be missing something when am Installing?!!!!

*--

Old 08-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Goh Lip

On 08/10/2011 08:41 PM, Emmanuel Natalis wrote:

Thanks so Much Goh for your help. I have tried to run the command
update-initramfs -u but nothing has changed. Let me do the
re-installation, it wont cost me as I haven't put Much staff in it. My
Machine is Dell powerEdge T310. May be I might be missing something when
am Installing?!!!!

I really wouldn't know if you miss out anything.
Check mdsum the cd would be good too.
And you're welcome.

Regards - Goh Lip