Old 11-23-2007, 11:23 PM
"Ivan Lezhnjov Jr."

Default Name change: '/dev/dm-0' -> '/dev/lvm/home'

Hello,

I'm using LVM on my system and I've faced an issue that I set myself to
resolve. The essence of the issue is shown in the following /sbin/lilo -t
command output:

> root@sega:/home/users/ilj# /sbin/lilo -t
> Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not match '/dev' directory structure.
> Name change: '/dev/dm-0' -> '/dev/lvm/home'
> Warning: Name change: '/dev/dm-1' -> '/dev/lvm/tmp'
> Warning: Name change: '/dev/dm-2' -> '/dev/lvm/usr'
> Warning: Name change: '/dev/dm-3' -> '/dev/lvm/var'
> Added linux-2.6.23 *
> Added 2.6.22
> Added linux-2.6.19.5
> The boot sector and the map file have *NOT* been altered.
> 4 warnings were issued.

I'm pretty novice to device-mapper (hey, i'm a mere user! ) and LVM. I use
basic configurations for both. Nothing really special.

These warnings LILO returns weren't always there. They appeared after a recent
system update (I'm running Source Mage). There were no such warnings
previously. I contacted a LILO maintainer on a related issue and he kindly
responded with confirmation that these warnings are not LILO related. As far
as I know, LVM is a set of userspace tools and the actual job is done by
device-mapper. So, I don't see much point in contacting LVM developers (at
least at the present moment) and this is basically why I'm contacting you the
developers of device-mapper code.

My goal is to comprehend the origin of the warnings and their actual meaning,
also set things straight so that LILO doesn't return these warnings.

Hopefully, you are the guys that can help me with this

Information about what software version numbers I use and configuration
details:

- linux 2.6.23
(not patched but not vanilla either; configured tuned and tweaked with my own
two hands )

device-mapper related linux configuration options:

> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DM=y
> # CONFIG_DM_DEBUG is not set
> CONFIG_DM_CRYPT=y
> CONFIG_DM_SNAPSHOT=y
> CONFIG_DM_MIRROR=y
> CONFIG_DM_ZERO=y
> CONFIG_DM_MULTIPATH=y
> # CONFIG_DM_MULTIPATH_EMC is not set
> # CONFIG_DM_MULTIPATH_RDAC is not set
> # CONFIG_DM_DELAY is not set
> # CONFIG_DM9102 is not set

- lilo 22.8
- lvm 2.02.28

Physical Volume I use

> root@sega:/home/users/ilj# pvdisplay
> --- Physical volume ---
> PV Name /dev/sda3
> VG Name lvm
> PV Size 69.87 GB / not usable 3.30 MB
> Allocatable yes (but full)
> PE Size (KByte) 4096
> Total PE 17886
> Free PE 0
> Allocated PE 17886
> PV UUID eRl10i-TM4M-Z7yk-JOGu-b0o9-IaNa-G1iThc

Virtual Group on the Physical Volume

> root@sega:/home/users/ilj# vgdisplay
> --- Volume group ---
> VG Name lvm
> System ID
> Format lvm2
> Metadata Areas 1
> Metadata Sequence No 13
> VG Access read/write
> VG Status resizable
> MAX LV 0
> Cur LV 4
> Open LV 4
> Max PV 0
> Cur PV 1
> Act PV 1
> VG Size 69.87 GB
> PE Size 4.00 MB
> Total PE 17886
> Alloc PE / Size 17886 / 69.87 GB
> Free PE / Size 0 / 0
> VG UUID PdcYgd-CsWE-CVUJ-po1J-tKGp-VdW9-08bx33

Logical Volumes themselves

> root@sega:/home/users/ilj# lvdisplay
> --- Logical volume ---
> LV Name /dev/lvm/home
> VG Name lvm
> LV UUID IlQCbp-CY44-E5Fn-VHk2-CGVR-Cgud-aLCtNv
> LV Write Access read/write
> LV Status available
> # open 1
> LV Size 49.87 GB
> Current LE 12766
> Segments 1
> Allocation inherit
> Read ahead sectors 0
> Block device 253:0
>
> --- Logical volume ---
> LV Name /dev/lvm/tmp
> VG Name lvm
> LV UUID s9tqUP-V0il-2jd1-suyS-bLpG-Wy2n-zm4Eeu
> LV Write Access read/write
> LV Status available
> # open 1
> LV Size 2.00 GB
> Current LE 512
> Segments 1
> Allocation inherit
> Read ahead sectors 0
> Block device 253:1
>
> --- Logical volume ---
> LV Name /dev/lvm/usr
> VG Name lvm
> LV UUID A8PDF8-8o8X-hX2H-WiYq-nBTF-Cbtd-DpVwxq
> LV Write Access read/write
> LV Status available
> # open 1
> LV Size 14.00 GB
> Current LE 3584
> Segments 1
> Allocation inherit
> Read ahead sectors 0
> Block device 253:2
>
> --- Logical volume ---
> LV Name /dev/lvm/var
> VG Name lvm
> LV UUID 7hagoJ-k3t7-yyZ1-d5Tc-C106-KOQK-3K3vpV
> LV Write Access read/write
> LV Status available
> # open 1
> LV Size 4.00 GB
> Current LE 1024
> Segments 1
> Allocation inherit
> Read ahead sectors 0
> Block device 253:3

- device-mapper-1.02.22
> root@sega:/home/users/ilj# dmsetup --version
> Library version: 1.02.22 (2007-08-21)
> Driver version: 4.11.0

This is it. If I missed anything let me know, please.
I'm really looking forward to getting answers to the questions I've got.
Whatever it may take I'm more than just curious now since I spent quite a
period of time trying to figure out the answers on my own, bothered random
people in real life and on the Internet in forums, IRC and now in
mailing-list

--
Ivan Lezhnjov Jr.

Europe, Ukraine, Simferopol. Local Time:
Sat Nov 24 01:56:42 EET 2007

Source Mage GNU/Linux 0.9.6.3, linux-2.6.23 #8
Disassemble To Assemble Something Pure