Old 05-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Bram Gillemon

Default lvm + dmmapper on a 2.6.32.10 kernel

Hi,

I'm having some problems with lvm + dmmapper on my own compiled 2.6.32.10 kernel, I'm not sure if the problem is with dmmapper or with my kernel, so i hope someone can help me or point me into the right direction.

When I try to create a lvm volume i recieve the following error:

bram-PC:~# lvcreate -L 10485760k -n test5-root xendomains
device-mapper: table ioctl failed: No such device or address
Aborting. Failed to activate new LV to wipe the start of it.

Sometimes it works to create a lvm volume, but when i try to create a mapper on the device i recieve errors like this:

bram-PC:~# echo "0 $( blockdev --getsize /dev/xendomains/test-root ) linear /dev/xendomains/test-root 0" | dmsetup create test-root-dm
/dev/xendomains/test-root: No such file or directory
Invalid format on line 1 of table on stdin
Command failed

and dmesg tells me:

[29955.397572] device-mapper: ioctl: device doesn't appear to be in the dev hash table.

The reason i build my own kernel is i want to run xen 4.0, my config is available on pastebin:

http://pastebin.com/T6ntfKme

I compiled dmmapper as a module or built-in i always have these errors.

I know i don't have much info to post here cause i don't have any idea what you need to know, just ask and i'll post it

Can someone help me to find a solution to this problem, or help me to build a bug report (if it's a bug )

Kr,
Bram