Old 05-11-2010, 06:55 AM
Jens Axboe

Default block: allow initialization of previously allocated request_queue

On Mon, May 10 2010, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> blk_init_queue() allocates the request_queue structure and then
> initializes it as needed (request_fn, elevator, etc).
>
> Split initialization out to blk_init_allocated_queue_node.
> Introduce blk_init_allocated_queue wrapper function to model existing
> blk_init_queue and blk_init_queue_node interfaces.
>
> Export elv_register_queue to allow a newly added elevator to be
> registered with sysfs. Export elv_unregister_queue for symmetry.
>
> These changes allow DM to initialize a device's request_queue with more
> precision. In particular, DM no longer unconditionally initializes a
> full request_queue (elevator et al). It only does so for a
> request-based DM device.

Looks good, I'll apply this. I don't think the exports need to be _GPL
in this case, generally I've only done that with the exports for hooking
in a new IO scheduler.

--
Jens Axboe

Old 05-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Jens Axboe

On Tue, May 11 2010, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> On Tue, May 11 2010 at 2:55am -0400,
> Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@oracle.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 10 2010, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> > > blk_init_queue() allocates the request_queue structure and then
> > > initializes it as needed (request_fn, elevator, etc).
> > >
> > > Split initialization out to blk_init_allocated_queue_node.
> > > Introduce blk_init_allocated_queue wrapper function to model existing
> > > blk_init_queue and blk_init_queue_node interfaces.
> > >
> > > Export elv_register_queue to allow a newly added elevator to be
> > > registered with sysfs. Export elv_unregister_queue for symmetry.
> > >
> > > These changes allow DM to initialize a device's request_queue with more
> > > precision. In particular, DM no longer unconditionally initializes a
> > > full request_queue (elevator et al). It only does so for a
> > > request-based DM device.
> >
> > Looks good, I'll apply this. I don't think the exports need to be _GPL
> > in this case, generally I've only done that with the exports for hooking
> > in a new IO scheduler.
>
> OK, thanks for picking this up. Do you want me to send v2 that drops
> the _GPL or will you make those changes?

I just hand-edited that part. I can add the dm bit as well, when it has
been reviewed and acked.

--
Jens Axboe