-   -   Question about WWID (http://www.linux-archive.org/device-mapper-development/364302-question-about-wwid.html)

Rodrigo Nascimento 04-30-2010 07:16 PM

Question about WWID

Hi All,

How the WWID from dm-mp is generated? I can image that it use serial number of the disk, but how it is really generated?

Regards,

Nascimento
NetApp - Enjoy it!

Hannes Reinecke 05-03-2010 11:12 AM

Question about WWID

Rodrigo Nascimento wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> How the WWID from dm-mp is generated? I can image that it use serial
> number of the disk, but how it is really generated?

It is using the SCSI Inquiry VPD pages; page 0x83 or, failing that, path 0x80.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke zSeries & Storage
hare@suse.de +49 911 74053 688

Rodrigo Nascimento 05-05-2010 04:03 AM

Question about WWID

Hi All,

Thanks Dr. Hannes Reinecke.

After read some docs, I found out this information about the WWID:

- Its origin is the VPD Pages;
- It's a NAA (Network Address Authority) identifier;
- As a NAA identifier it is unique because its format is:

***** 3 + 6(from NAA 6) + IEEE Company_id + Vendor Specific Identifier + Vendor Specific Identifier Extension

+ == concatenated

Please, if it is not correct tell me.

Thanks and Regards,

Nascimento

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Hannes Reinecke <hare@suse.de> wrote:

Rodrigo Nascimento wrote:

> Hi All,

> How the WWID from dm-mp is generated? I can image that it use serial

> number of the disk, but how it is really generated?

It is using the SCSI Inquiry VPD pages; page 0x83 or, failing that, path 0x80.

Cheers,

Hannes

--

Dr. Hannes Reinecke * * * * * * * * * zSeries & Storage

hare@suse.de * * * * * * * * * * * * *+49 911 74053 688

GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)

Rodrigo Nascimento
Storage System Engineer