Old 04-26-2010, 07:58 PM
"Victoria A Smith"

Default bindings file; rename WWID to mpath alias

After a system crash I have filesystem access problems when
the multipathd service is started. I noticed in the messages file
and in output from multipath -ll that an alias is not being
used:

messages: [...] rename 350002ac002c506cc to mpath18

# multipath -ll
[...]
350002ac002c506cc dm-12 3PARdata,VV

# ls -1 /dev/mpath/
350002ac002c506cc
mpath10
[...]

The bindings file has:
[...]
mpath18 350002ac002c506cc

Can the apparent failure of the alias-to-WWID mapping cause any problems?

RHEL5.5
2.6.18-194.el5
device-mapper-multipath-0.4.7-34.el5
QLogic Fibre Channel HBA Driver: 8.03.01.04.05.05-k

Thanks,

Victoria

Old 04-26-2010, 09:13 PM
"Victoria A Smith"

It is on /var (/var/lib/multipath/bindings), and /var is a separate LV
from /.

I am beginning to think the WWID 350002ac002c506cc is a "rogue" device
and should be removed from the system.

Regards,

Victoria

Is your bindings file located on a different [lv|partition] than / ?

It may cause this kind of troubles if so.

Brem

Old 04-26-2010, 10:21 PM
"Victoria A Smith"

Yes, that is good information. I am curious to know, however, if
mixing the use of WWIDs and aliases can cause problems. In other
words, I have a WWID which has an alias, but it is not being seen
by the system:

# dmsetup ls --target multipath
mpath9 (253, 6)
mpath8 (253, 5)