Old 01-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Tomasz Chmielewski

Default can I create static /dev/dm-XY device mappings?

Is it possible to create static /dev/dm-XY device mappings?

I have an encrypted disk, later partitioned, DRBD over it, and finally,
LVM2 over it.

LVM2 gets confused, and detects physical volume with duplicate IDs
(/dev/drbd0 and /dev/dm-2).

So far my only workaround was to filter out /dev/dm-2 in lvm.conf, but
as /dev/dm-XY are not static, this solution is not very reliable.

This is a udev rule which creates these mappings, but I've no idea how
to change it to make all or certain mappings static.

#
# multipath and multipath partitions nodes are created in /dev/mapper/
# this file should be installed in /etc/udev/rules.d
#

# take care of devmap partitioning
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="block", KERNEL=="dm-*",
PROGRAM="/sbin/dmsetup -j %M -m %m --noopencount --noheadings
-c -o name info",

RUN+="/sbin/kpartx -a /dev/mapper/%c"

Any clues?

--