-   -   max number of paths (http://www.linux-archive.org/device-mapper-development/342043-max-number-paths.html)

guy keren 03-15-2010 07:15 PM

max number of paths

Charlie Sharkey wrote:

Is there a maximum number of paths supported by the device mapper ?

I have a setup with 12 paths to 14 luns. I had to reduce the number of paths

to 10 for the device mapper to startup correctly.

i have seen such problems with linux kernel 2.4, long ago, when max SCSI
disk devices was 256 (and hence - also max paths for such devices).

if you're not using SCSI, but rather some other type of device - it
could be a limitation of the specific low level driver.

which kernel are you using? and which linux distribution? and what kind
of block devices do your disks reside on?

--guy

"Charlie Sharkey" 03-15-2010 07:26 PM

max number of paths

I'm seeing this on a Suse Sles10 x86_64 system, 2.6.16.60-0.34-smp.
I have a qlogic qle2462 connected to a hp eva back end.

guy keren 03-15-2010 07:46 PM

max number of paths

do the devices look something like /dev/sd*, or /dev/cciss/* or
something similar? if the later - it _could_ be a driver-specific issue,
and i would look for info about the specific block driver.

--guy